NFR Ediz Hook birds

Non-fishing related

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Ediz Hook and Three Crabs, 6 March 2022
[Part 1 or 2} The forecast for Sunday was for sunny skies. After a Saturday of staring at computer screens for too long, we needed an escape, an adventure. Armed with a lunch of tasty sandwiches that my wife whipped up, we were off early for the Port Angeles area. We left Olympia under fog but the skies quickly cleared as we wove our way along Hwy. 101 to Ediz Hook.
B01ScaupFlock9590.jpg
As we zipped along the winding shoreline of Hood Canal, we could see the occasional diving bird near the shore. But we were on a mission and weren’t planning to stop unless something unusual popped up. And it did. We encountered a mixed flock of 100+ diving ducks, mostly greater scaups and surf scoters, north of Hamma Hamma.
They were diving for clams in the productive waters of Hood Canal; there are several shellfish farms along its shores. And based on my photographs, the scaups were quite successful in acquiring clams for breakfast. Apparently, they crush the shells in their muscular gizzards.
B02Scaups9599.jpg
We arrived at Ediz Hook and parked near the tip of the 3-mile spit.
A01ViewToBaseOfEdizHookP3060020.jpg
The far end is off-limits as it is a Coast Guard station and just outside the Coast Guard property is the dock and shore facilities for the pilots that guide boats through these busy waters. Ediz Hook consists of a long, narrow, hook-shaped sand bar which protects the port of Port Angeles from waves traveling from the west along the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The spit developed as sediments eroding from the heart of the Olympic Mountains were carried by the Elwha River to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Waves and tidal currents transported these sediments eastward along the shore and deposited them to create this spit (and the larger longer Dungeness Spit further east)

We arrived shortly before low tide. We did not see much bird activity, either on the sandy beach or offshore on the Strait side of the hook, just surf scoter or two that were diving far offshore. But the protected waters inside of the hook was quite busy. In the bay, double-crested cormorants, common loons, red-necked grebes, and red-breasted mergansers dove for “second breakfast”. While we were there, bull sea lion blasted through deeper into the bay, on a mission it appeared.

The shoreline of the inside of the hook was even busier. The upper shore is dominated by sand and fine gravel and transitions to boulders in the lower intertidal. The most prominent inhabitants was a flock of about 50 brant.
B03BrantFlock9716.jpg
An adult brant is about a third the weight (and half the length) of a Canada goose and about 25% heavier than a mallard.
B04Brants9914.jpg
The the birds below appear to be in a "whose necks is longer" contest.
B06Brants9858.jpg
Using the same “tip up” behavior of dabbling ducks, the brants came up with mouthfuls of the green algae Ulva (sea lettuce).
B05BrantWithUlva9691.jpg
They were not too concerned by us, but they were skittish just the same, probably to the threat of a hungry bald eagle (one of which did fly by while we were there).
B07EagleInFlight9965.jpg
Some cue would spook the whole flock which would burst into flight before returning to the shore to resume feeding.
B08BrantsInFlight9927.jpg
BrantsLanding9945.jpg

Steve

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Ediz Hook, 6 March 2022 [Part 2 of 2]

Hanging out along the shallows were several pairs of harlequin ducks, brightly-colored drakes and more cryptic hens.
HarlequinDrake9714.jpg
HarlequinDrakes9705.jpg
HarlequinHen9626.jpg
The common name “harlequin” refers to the brightly-costumed harlequin character of Italian comedies and other European theater traditions. This species breeds along fast mountain streams; I have seen adults with juveniles in the late summer along the upper Elwha River. In winter, harlequin ducks migrate to rocky shores of the Strait; we commonly see them along the shore of San Juan Island in December.

A solitary black oystercatcher searched around the edges of the cobbles for food. The bright orange chisel-like bill of the oystercatcher is quite formidable.
BlackOystercatcher9651.jpg
BlackOystercatcher9660.jpg
A solitary black turnstone also searched around the edges of the cobbles for a meal.
C02BlackTurnstone9829.jpg
A small group of sanderlings flew our way and probed with their thin bills into the fine sand at the tideline. Two came close enough that I had to pull back the magnification of my 150-600mm zoom.
C04Sanderling9752.jpg
C05SanderlingForaging9758.jpg
["If only my bill was longer. I'm sure that there are some tasty morsels buried deeper in the sand"]
Farther down the beach, we encountered several black-bellied plovers that were foraging along with western sandpipers among the cobbles at the water’s edge. These black-bellied plovers were still in their winter plumage. But it won’t be long before they grow the black feathers that give the species its common name.
C03BlackBelliedPlovers9850.jpg
C07WesternSandpiper9817.jpg

Steve

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Splendid photos once again, Steve. Thank you for sharing, as my time has been quite limited of late.

gpt

Smolt
Ediz Hook, 6 March 2022 [Part 2 of 2]

Hanging out along the shallows were several pairs of harlequin ducks, brightly-colored drakes and more cryptic hens.
View attachment 8607
View attachment 8608
View attachment 8609
The common name “harlequin” refers to the brightly-costumed harlequin character of Italian comedies and other European theater traditions. This species breeds along fast mountain streams; I have seen adults with juveniles in the late summer along the upper Elwha River. In winter, harlequin ducks migrate to rocky shores of the Strait; we commonly see them along the shore of San Juan Island in December.

A solitary black oystercatcher searched around the edges of the cobbles for food. The bright orange chisel-like bill of the oystercatcher is quite formidable.
View attachment 8610
View attachment 8611
A solitary black turnstone also searched around the edges of the cobbles for a meal.
View attachment 8612
A small group of sanderlings flew our way and probed with their thin bills into the fine sand at the tideline. Two came close enough that I had to pull back the magnification of my 150-600mm zoom.
View attachment 8613
View attachment 8614
["If only my bill was longer. I'm sure that there are some tasty morsels buried deeper in the sand"]
Farther down the beach, we encountered several black-bellied plovers that were foraging along with western sandpipers among the cobbles at the water’s edge. These black-bellied plovers were still in their winter plumage. But it won’t be long before they grow the black feathers that give the species its common name.
View attachment 8615
View attachment 8616

Steve
any time you are looking for waterfowl, head 2 miles N from 101 on Kitchen-Dick rd. the irrigation overflow ponds are always packed with them.