Dual purpose pontoons (stillwater & rivers)?

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
Even with a 10' Scadden raft, a big 10.5' Maxxon pontoon, a Clackacraft pram, and SuperCat float tube, and a JB Outiftters pontoon, I still have space in a large pole barn so I definitely need at least one more floaty thing...

On lakes I've been using the old JB Outfitters ~7' pontoon. On the plus side, it is super light. The downside is the mesh seat is basically at water level (I add a seat cushion) and I notice that friends with 9' pontoons when using oars can travel much faster than I'm able to row the JB.

So, I'm looking at the 9' pontoons that'd be more comfortable and faster moving on lakes, and have quality construction and rocker to use on Class II rivers with skinny summer water, and some cargo capacity for overnight trips AND doesn't need a boat ramp. The FISH CAT 9 IR looks pretty good for these uses. Thoughts on the FC 9 IR? Are there others to consider?

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
I love my Outcast Fish Cat Panther Pontoon Boat. Multi chambers for safety, low profile which helps in the wind, and it glides across the water when you need to row. I can often stay up with pontoon boats with electric motors on them once I get into a good rowing rhythm. It is not cheap, but worth every penny for me.

Peach

Stillwater_20224.jpg

Shad

Life of the Party
I have a Buck's Bags South Fork I have owned for about 22 years now, and while the valve stems leak a little without the covers on, it still works every bit as well as it did when I bought it. I've dragged it through wooded trails, hit rocks on rivers, and stored it in less than ideal conditions for many years, and it still does everything it did on day one. I paid about $600 in 1999... I think they cost about $1300 now. Either way, a bargain for the hard to count adventures it's gotten me though.

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You might check out. NRS gigbob. I have one and it's good in Rivers and lakes. No frame, inflates to a higher pressure like an inflatable paddle board. I use a electric motor on mine in big reservoirs. Have seen pictures of a guy who is using a 3 HP gas motor on hia in some big Colorado reservoirs. Weighs around 50 pounds. The NRS folks have taken them down the Salmon river in Idaho so whitewater capable.