Driftboat Cover Question

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey all,

I recently acquired a 2001, 16 foot X 48 inch, Fishrite Driftboat. The boat came with a nice boat cover but I will need to replace it in about a year or so. Can anyone recommend who can do this for me? FWIW it has the rear anchor setup, which willneed to be included in the pattern.

Thank you for any and all help.

Bob

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Check out five c’s boat covers. They make good covers and have patterns for most boats.

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
They make great covers. I had one on my drift boat and I currently have one on my Alumaacraft. You can leave the cover on while towing.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Agree with Five Cs. I have one of their covers on my 1985 Clackacraft and they are great! This one is about five years old and it has a lot of life left in it. They were able to fit an older boat with a custom cover. Now I need to get the boat into the Clackacraft shop for refinishing with new gelcoat and repair the chine. 03F1CCF4-A825-48C8-8DEF-D0823019E78A.jpeg

Last edited:

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks Eastside.

That cover looks damn fine for 5 years.

I have no garage to store my boat so its out in the elements. The cover is pretty much a neceessity to keep the boat looking decent.

happy Easter.

Bob

SSPey

loco alto!
Another thumbs up for Five Cs. I used a long 2x4 to create an A-frame, from bow to stern, to help shed water.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks Eastside.

That cover looks damn fine for 5 years.

I have no garage to store my boat so its out in the elements. The cover is pretty much a neceessity to keep the boat looking decent.

happy Easter.

Bob
Mine is outside as well. In the winter, I used to buy a cheaper (Walmart) cover that the snow slid off easier, but I don’t do that anymore.

SSPey

loco alto!
It is raining, but this photo should be enough. In a nutshell, just run a 2x4 from bow to stern. The particulars will depend on the boat.

For the stern, the 2x4 can just rest on top of the transom.

For the bow, my boat has a front casting brace that’s 12” higher than the front deck, and the 2x4 rests on that. A milk crate on the bow deck could also support the 2x4.

The A-frame needn’t be above the top of the bow, especially if the boat is stored in a wheelie (to drain water from fishing).

The weird color on the cover near the stern is my latest batch of pollen soup. The cover itself is perfectly sound after 6 years. The cover looks ill-fitting at the stern only because I don’t bother spend the 30 seconds needed to strap and tie down it down 100%. It is waterproof as-is, and is removed for travel.

Last year I had to replace my trailer tires and decided to spend $25 on random tire covers to aid longevity from UV exposure

C22A022B-06EF-423B-A0D2-8BF3DEACDBDD.jpeg.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
SSpey,

Thank you. Got it.

I do the same for my tires, including my spare trailer tire which is mounted on the front tongue.

Be safe.

Bob

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It is raining, but this photo should be enough. In a nutshell, just run a 2x4 from bow to stern. The particulars will depend on the boat.

For the stern, the 2x4 can just rest on top of the transom.

For the bow, my boat has a front casting brace that’s 12” higher than the front deck, and the 2x4 rests on that. A milk crate on the bow deck could also support the 2x4.

The A-frame needn’t be above the top of the bow, especially if the boat is stored in a wheelie (to drain water from fishing).

The weird color on the cover near the stern is my latest batch of pollen soup. The cover itself is perfectly sound after 6 years. The cover looks ill-fitting at the stern only because I don’t bother spend the 30 seconds needed to strap and tie down it down 100%. It is waterproof as-is, and is removed for travel.

Last year I had to replace my trailer tires and decided to spend $25 on random tire covers to aid longevity from UV exposure

View attachment 12014.
I’ll do that as well. It would be better than using my (old style) seat backs.