Drift boat motor repair

MT406

Steelhead
I purchased a second hand Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke motor. By the end of summer, it was having problems with idling and throttle response. I’m by no means a mechanic, but could this be possibly due to a gummed up Carb? If that’s the case, how many hours should it take for a mechanic to clean it?

Will be using non ethanol gas moving forward.

Pescaphile

Steelhead
It should be a very quick job to remove a carb, clean it and open up any blockage(s) in the jets. I don't know about your specific motor, but I've been able to do it in 1/2 hour on a both a 4hp Yamaha and a 2.3 hp Honda. I'd expect no more than 1 hour labor charge from a mechanic for this.

In the future, make sure you drain the carb before any longer layups (more than, say, a week). The non-ethanol gas will help avoid these problems as well.

MT406

Steelhead
It’s always been a bit erratic and a bit of a pain to start, even with a full tank. I’m hoping it’s due to using ethanol gas. Which I won’t make that mistake again.

BCO

Steelhead
I purchased a second hand Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke motor. By the end of summer, it was having problems with idling and throttle response. I’m by no means a mechanic, but could this be possibly due to a gummed up Carb? If that’s the case, how many hours should it take for a mechanic to clean it?

First thing for idle issues is replace the spark plug with a properly gapped plug. Check the coil output and flush the fuel system with SeaFoam. Small displacement engine’s that are run at low rpm’s for long periods need periodic checkups.

Chucker

Steelhead
It’s always been a bit erratic and a bit of a pain to start, even with a full tank. I’m hoping it’s due to using ethanol gas. Which I won’t make that mistake again.

Don’t pin all your hopes on it being the ethanol in the gas, newer motors are totally fine with it.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
btw, cleaning whole carbs in an ultra sonic cleaner is the go to forservicing OB's, motorcycles, snowmobiles, lawmowers, etc...Harbor Freight sells them for cheap.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a 20 year old tohatsu 4 stroke and it became erratic at the throttle. Wasn’t the throttle, it was a loose plug wire. Fwiw.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good opportunity to upgrade the carburetor and prop to make it a 5hp

Reactions: RCF