Double Rainbow.....Oh My God

So with Christmas finally behind us, I was anxiously watching the weather so I could get some time on the water.

1672346936329.png

Monday was oh so close. It looked like there might have been a 3 hour window between storms but Windy was in conflict with the National Weather Service and since it's a two hour round trip, I waited..............

Tuesday was a no go. 💩 Winds were forecast above my threshold of about 15 or 16 mph and gusts were gonna be double that. So I waited some more.....................

1672347619841.png

As of Tuesday night, things were looking good for Wednesday....winds were supposed to drop into single digits after about 9a and maybe climb into the low teens around 2p.

So like giddy school kid I got up early, verified the forecast was still good, made a sammy, snuck a couple cookies, filled my thermos and hit the road.

1672348576492.png

It was still a bit windy when I arrived but no white caps and no rain.....and, there was only one other fisher on the water!

1672349837102.png

I had to work to keep my excitement in check because I'm not that great of a fly fisher and to me this lake can be a fickle thing that has humbled me more than once. That said, I had my first fish in the net within 20 minutes of launching, which, for me, is not a normal thing in December.

IMG_5499[1].jpg

I ended up netting several more and losing equally as many by mid morning...which was when I saw it.

I was looking at the water when it first caught my attention....and since it wasn't raining, I was thinking WTF...is that an oil slick???????? But then I looked up and saw this

IMG_5500a.jpg

The sun crept out a bit more, the colors became more vibrant, and the rainbow appeared to touch the water on the left. I was thinking about paddling over to find out if there would be a pot of gold when I saw this...

IMG_5503[1].JPG

and promptly thought about the Double Rainbow video that went viral a decade ago.

1672352083280.png

It didn't bring me to tears like it did for YosemiteBear but it WAS pretty cool...that is until the drizzle and rain set in.

The drenching rain continued for the next 3 hours but the fishing remained fairly decent. There were no big hatches or anything but by keeping my 'go to' maroon & olive leech just above the weed beds I was able to consistently net a fish or two as I circled around the lake.

IMG_5506[1].JPG

There were no monsters by this lakes' standards but they were all solid strong fish. Some like a fast strip and others wanted the slow twitch. The takes were mostly soft and I lost a bunch eventhough I was strip setting....but no matter, I ended up having one of my better days at this place.

So I guess that's what the double rainbow meant. :cool:

Last edited: