Does anyone know of a good 3 gallon outboard fuel tank?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
So, I bought this fuel tank last year:

It is GARBAGE. If the reviews had been there when I bought it, I'd have run. It leaks badly out of that plastic fitting where it screws into the tank.

Anyone have a suggestion for a better one? Would prefer to stay with a 3 gallon tank because my little 9.9hp burns so little fuel. Most outboard tanks seem to have a lot of bad reviews. I can't tell if they are because the tanks are shit like this one, or because humans are stupid.

1711333816165.png

CRO

Steelhead
Is there an O ring under the rim of that cap or is it just hard plastic on plastic? If the cap screws into the cap there is readily available material at auto parts stores to make a gasket.

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I’ve had good luck with this 6gal tank for the last 10yrs, Easterner C14540. Doesn’t look like Amazon sells it anymore though, that’s where I got it from.

IMG_4143.jpegIMG_4145.jpeg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Is there an O ring under the rim of that cap or is it just hard plastic on plastic? If the cap screws into the cap there is readily available material at auto parts stores to make a gasket.
There is no oring/gasket. Sounds like perhaps that's the issue.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
There is no oring/gasket. Sounds like perhaps that's the issue.
Just to be clear, it's leaking at this interface in the photo?
Tank fitting.jpg

If so then I would think there would have to be a rubber gasket or o-ring to keep it from leaking. I bet you could craft a gasket pretty easily with some flat rubber, like an cut up old inner-tube.