Do these temps seem unusually high to you?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
On Tuesday I visited a lake at 3,400 feet that still had some snow at the margins. Water temp was a surprising 61 degrees read on a Garmin Striker 4.
The next day I fished a lake at 3,200 feet and the temp reading was 63 degrees. It seemed like it should have been in the mid 50's at worst.
Yesterday, May 4th, Krusty and I visited a lake at 2400 feet and using identical depth finders we both recorded 68 degrees.
Sixty eight seems way too warm for the first week of May and with lots of company scheduled for late May and June I'm concerned that driving several hundred miles to fish on the tundra may not be such a good idea. After a second brutal winter in a row I had hoped that if there was to be any silver lining to the heavy snow pack it would be higher water levels and the attendant cooler water longer. It just isn't happening, at least here in the extreme NE corner anyway.
Next week we will be back at 3400 feet in search of cutthroat and the following week probably do some research at a lake at 3,700 feet and hope it didn't winter kill.
Anyone else experiencing unusually high water temps already?

Divad

Whitefish
I took a roadtrip to checkout some last weekend and get some mountain biking in. It seems the upper elevation lakes have not turned over yet, drop that thermometer down 10ft or wait a little for warmer weather to mix things up.

Edit: this was western WA forgot you are in the NE corner

Islander

Life of the Party
I took a roadtrip to checkout some last weekend and get some mountain biking in. It seems the upper elevation lakes have not turned over yet, drop that thermometer down 10ft or wait a little for warmer weather to mix things up.

Edit: this was western WA forgot you are in the NE corner
Still might be the situation. The couple lakes near me seemed pretty warm on the surface. My little Fishtrax has a floating transducer with a long cord. I took off the float and dropped it down a ways and there was a much colder reading.

Flymph

Steelhead
Took a temp at a near by lake that sits about 2,000ft of 64degees. Turned around and went home. We have a brief few days of rain and cooler weather. This will be short lived with temperatures predicted into the 90s soon thereafter.
Lots of early anticipation followed by an early heat wave. I will say this again, some of the best fishing is in early April. Would love to see an early April or even a late March opener.

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was just in Winthrop for the week. Ice off for maybe a week or two. Monday temp around 50 on Big Twin. Air temp in the 80's. On Thursday when I left water temp on little twin was 67 in the afternoon!!

BTW, smaller lakes without aerators (like Campbell) winterkilled, partial kill on some larger lakes like Big Twin and Davis.