Do Not Eat Warning

RCF

Life of the Party
Wonders if this applies to rivers and streams in the watersheds of those lakes...

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Wonders if this applies to rivers and streams in the watersheds of those lakes...
It didn't elaborate much other than warning about consumption. Makes me wonder about the Kokes in American Lake.

This is definitely industrial ground water pollution from the 50's and 60's.

One source is the fire fighting foam agents used back then in naval, marine and aircraft applications. When I worked on Fort Lewis, many of the older wells at the real northern end of the post, (LogCenter) and the adjoining water systems on McChord were also contaminated with this stuff. Since it never goes away, they always will be.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
You have to be crazy, or very well informed, to eat anything out of the water here.
  • Terrible combined sewage system that will always be prone to overflows.
  • Hanford nuclear site
  • Duwamish superfund site
  • Elma nuclear plant
  • Meth labs
  • Etc.
I'll buy my fish from Costco.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You have to be crazy, or very well informed, to eat anything out of the water here.
  • Terrible combined sewage system that will always be prone to overflows.
  • Hanford nuclear site
  • Duwamish superfund site
  • Elma nuclear plant
  • Meth labs
  • Etc.
I'll buy my fish from Costco.

Elma or actual Satsop Nuclear plant never had uranium on site and never ran. The satsop is safe as is the chehalis where the cooling water was going to come from and be returned to. It never operated.

CRO

Steelhead
Lake washington was once the septic tank for all the communities that surrounded it before they put in sewage treatment plants. The Boeing Renton air strip was probably a source of fire fighting foam.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
You can still eat the delicious brown bullheads as a healthy choice! :)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
They only tested those three lakes, and look at all those hits. Yikes.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's so safe, the feds took it back and use it as a FEMA and military training site.

No offense but I don't think you understand many facts about this site nor does Jared.. Like Jared you see a tower and assume "tower=toxic bad". It's concrete and rebar. It was a giant waste of money and a boondoggle to be sure but it never had nuclear material on site. It is however a giant facility with training potential. It's a business park today. Just imagine all those people glowing in the dark forced to work there. It's simply not true. But like I always say, don't let the facts stop you from creating a compelling fearful narrative. I'll keep eating Satsop coho and getting irradiated.

Shad

Life of the Party
I'm surprised it's necessary to warn people not to eat resident fish from those lakes in particular. Common sense tells me those waterways are horribly polluted. They just have to be.

No reason to be scared of eating the local, anadromous fish... well, beyond the standard buildup of mercury and microplastics from the ocean, that is. Farmed fish (at least the way we raise them today) are not safer to eat, by any stretch of the imagination. They are raised in filthy, disease-prone net pens and likely never pass a drop of clean water over their gills before ending up on your plate. Supporting that industry also harms native fish everywhere they operate. It really is a "pick your poison" situation when you eat most any fish these days....

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm surprised it's necessary to warn people not to eat resident fish from those lakes in particular. Common sense tells me those waterways are horribly polluted. They just have to be.

No reason to be scared of eating the local, anadromous fish... well, beyond the standard buildup of mercury and microplastics from the ocean, that is. Farmed fish (at least the way we raise them today) are not safer to eat, by any stretch of the imagination. They are raised in filthy, disease-prone net pens and likely never pass a drop of clean water over their gills before ending up on your plate. Supporting that industry also harms native fish everywhere they operate. It really is a "pick your poison" situation when you eat most any fish these days....

People are so out of touch with their food they don't understand what's clean and what's dirty. Costco fish is harvested in an industrial fashion and preserved or farm raised in a fecal pool.. But all people see is the package and the meat. This is not unlike electricity production.

And as for warning labels just look around. Don't drink your car battery? Was that a problem? Why are we negating natural selection? I postulate warning labels and handrails are why the world is getting dumber. Let morons off themselves.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
No offense but I don't think you understand many facts about this site nor does Jared.. Like Jared you see a tower and assume "tower=toxic bad". It's concrete and rebar. It was a giant waste of money and a boondoggle to be sure but it never had nuclear material on site. It is however a giant facility with training potential. It's a business park today. Just imagine all those people glowing in the dark forced to work there. It's simply not true. But like I always say, don't let the facts stop you from creating a compelling fearful narrative. I'll keep eating Satsop coho and getting irradiated.

My point was not that the plant had irradiated all the local rivers. You inferred that. My point was that most people don't even know the plant exists, let alone whether or not it is a concern. The same goes for Hanford, Duwamish, the sewage treatment plants that overflow, etc. Hence...

For example, you could check your favorite lake water testing results regularly. However, they generally only do that during summer, when people are swimming. Unfortunately, the time that you need it the most is during the wet seasons, when the storm water and snow melt causes the sewage systems to fail.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I can understand that about lakes Washington and Sammamish… log rafts in the old days. Perhaps some coated in creosote or some other preservatives, but what is it about Lake Meridian that could have caused this that we don’t know? Is there something unique about it compared to the other smaller lakes around it like Wilderness, Morton, Shadow, Pipe, Fenwick etc?

My Grandparents and Aunt had vacant lots and houses on Lk Meridian way back when I was a kid, and we spent a lot of time there swimming and fishing, ice skatin, etc. This was in the 50’s and 60’s so a lot could have changed since then, but I’d like to know what it was that caused this particular type of pollution in that lake.

Reactions: RCF

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My point was not that the plant had irradiated all the local rivers. You inferred that. My point was that most people don't even know the plant exists, let alone whether or not it is a concern. The same goes for Hanford, Duwamish, the sewage treatment plants that overflow, etc. Hence...

For example, you could check your favorite lake water testing results regularly. However, they generally only do that during summer, when people are swimming. Unfortunately, the time that you need it the most is during the wet seasons, when the storm water and snow melt causes the sewage systems to fail.

If concrete and rebar are toxic to the degree that fish from the chehalis and satsop shouldn't be consumed and Costco fish are safe and sustainable then I'm doing it wrong. Why would fish in the chehalis or satsop be non consumable or even dangerous.because of this plant that never ran. And I don't think it's hidden as it dominates the skyline for anyone driving by. There's no secret plan there, at least not anymore. It simply stands there as a monument of all that is wrong when government and industry get in bed together and decide to build something in a place nobody wants it and waste a freighter load of money in the process despite the wishes of those living around it. It was for decades kept at the ready wasting more money in a further testament to the hubris of the whole thing. It's truly the eighth wonder of the world.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If concrete and rebar are toxic to the degree that fish from the chehalis and satsop shouldn't be consumed and Costco fish are safe and sustainable then I'm doing it wrong. Why would fish in the chehalis or satsop be non consumable or even dangerous.because of this plant that never ran.

You're still missing my point. I'll try again.

My point is not that the Elma site is a hazard; it's that most people are oblivious to it, one way or the other. You have to be very informed about where you can and can't safely consume fish, in this state, because there are non-trivial hazards and many are much less visible than a huge nuclear power plant.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
You're still missing my point. I'll try again.

My point is not that the Elma site is a hazard; it's that most people are oblivious to it, one way or the other. You have to be very informed about where you can and can't safely consume fish, in this state, because there are non-trivial hazards and many are much less visible than a huge nuclear power plant.

Does being so well informed also apply to eating Costco fish?