Non-Fly Dirtbag Tackle History

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Visited the Western Antique Airplane and Automobile Museum in Hood River this week: WAAAM . Amazing collection of beautifully restored aircraft, cars, and military equipment. The surprise was a display of antique fishing tackle, mostly Luhr Jensen (Hood River based). I remember fishing some of this tackle when it was new.... anyone else here also now officially antique? ;)

Screenshot_20231104_095439_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_095426_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_095418_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_095407_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_095349_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_095323_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_095318_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_095312_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_095307_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Yep have used a ton of that stuff back in the 70's and 80's drift fishing for steelhead. Still have a bunc.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yep have used a ton of that stuff back in the 70's and 80's drift fishing for steelhead. Still have a bunc.

I remember Okie drifters being the standard drift lure back then. Hooked my first steelhead on a flame orange rigged with 2 hooks - just how it was done then. Can't remember if the "Pro-Steelhead Wobbler" in the 3rd image was the pre-cursor to, or a knock-off of the "Stee-Lee" wobbler. Looks identical. Caught plenty of coho and steelhead on the hammered brass/orange combo. Krocodile spoons and bolo spinners were also regulars in my box.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I remember Okie drifters being the standard drift lure back then. Hooked my first steelhead on a flame orange rigged with 2 hooks - just how it was done then. Can't remember if the "Pro-Steelhead Wobbler" in the 3rd image was the pre-cursor to, or a knock-off of the "Stee-Lee" wobbler. Looks identical. Caught plenty of coho and steelhead on the hammered brass/orange combo. Krocodile spoons and bolo spinners were also regulars in my box.
I too caught my first steelhead on an Okie drifter rig (pink, with a tuft of white yarn and a dab of gooey roe). A little wild hen from a drift on the Skok.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I too caught my first steelhead on an Okie drifter rig (pink, with a tuft of white yarn and a dab of gooey roe). A little wild hen from a drift on the Skok.

My first steelhead came on a Sammy Special. Silver body with red yarn. As mentioned, all that old stuff would still work today. Cool display @SilverFly
Luhr Jensen, another good company that went goodbye.
SF

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I lost mine. We had just moved back to the PNW after 5 years in the MidWest. I was fishing the same solid-glass spin rod with a Heddon reel that I used for perch and bluegills in Wisconsin. Needless to say the fight didn't last long. After I picked my jaw up off the bank, I ran home and pleaded to Dad for an upgrade.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
My first fishing experience was as a pre-teen staying at my cousins family vacation home on the Russian River, wading the brush lined stretch in front of the house that teemed with small mouth bass, flipping a white Panther Martin lure with a Fenwick glass rod and Mitchel Garcia 300 reel, hooking up lot of bass. For a city kid it was heaven

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Orange and yellow Spin-N-Glow with a tuft of orange yarn in the leader loop fooled my first steelhead in the 60’s. I think I was nine or ten.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think it was Wardens in Yakima that made Spin N Glows back in those dreamy days of lots of Steelies.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Funny how fickle the industry is... obviously all that stuff caught fish and still can.

Good share thanks.

You gotta catch fishermen in aisle four if you want to win in the tackle game. Gotta market that uv scent infused exciter blade for maximum strike response in all predatory Gamefish.

dep

Steelhead
still have some of this stuff from when I was a kid. now to just remember what tackle box it is in

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You gotta catch fishermen in aisle four if you want to win in the tackle game. Gotta market that uv scent infused exciter blade for maximum strike response in all predatory Gamefish.

Pretty sure plenty of bug flickers are hooked by marketing tactics as well. At least by judging by the number of fly rods, reels, lines, and the cubic yard or so of tying materials I own.