Desert Cutthroat

During the Pleistocene Epoch, Lake Lahontan once covered 8,500 square miles of what now is NW Nevada, NE California and SW Oregon. Pyramid Lake is part of what remains of the once vast inland sea and is still a very large body of water covering 180 square miles. The Lahontan cutthroat trout evolved as the apex predator species, uniquely adapted to survive in the alkaline water. The original strain that occupied Pyramid was thought to be extinct until a small population was discovered along the Nevada/Utah border in the 1970's. Known as the "Pilot Peak Strain", this strain is now thriving while growing to large sizes. Double digit sized LCT are not at all unusual.

pyramid3.jpg

Chase, my buddy Dan and I spent two days trying to tangle with these double digit monster trout. Pyramid is a world famous fishery and unique in the way anglers use ladders to access shoreline cruising LCT. Chase and I had never been there, so we relied on Dan who had fished it a handful of times. I learned that ladder fishing has its peril as welds on my fancy loaner ladder failed and we were forced to make emergency repairs (translate: I got dunked).

pyramid9.jpg

pyramid11.jpg

We did a lot of casting and stripping, ran some midges under indicators and moved around to various beaches. We found some nice fish but not the double digit monsters that we were hoping for. The trip was still a great success as I was able to spend quality time with my buddy and grandson. It just doesn't get much better than that!

pyramid1.jpg

pyramid5.jpg

By the way, the scenery was stunning!

pyramid7.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Nice job Bob!
Thanks for sharing the report.
SF

iPhish

Freshly Spawned
Spent the week there last week. It was pretty slow all around from what I saw. Only heard of one over 10# fish caught as well. Always a great trip either way.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
During the Pleistocene Epoch, Lake Lahontan once covered 8,500 square miles of what now is NW Nevada, NE California and SW Oregon. Pyramid Lake is part of what remains of the once vast inland sea and is still a very large body of water covering 180 square miles. The Lahontan cutthroat trout evolved as the apex predator species, uniquely adapted to survive in the alkaline water. The original strain that occupied Pyramid was thought to be extinct until a small population was discovered along the Nevada/Utah border in the 1970's. Known as the "Pilot Peak Strain", this strain is now thriving while growing to large sizes. Double digit sized LCT are not at all unusual.

View attachment 9419

Chase, my buddy Dan and I spent two days trying to tangle with these double digit monster trout. Pyramid is a world famous fishery and unique in the way anglers use ladders to access shoreline cruising LCT. Chase and I had never been there, so we relied on Dan who had fished it a handful of times. I learned that ladder fishing has its peril as welds on my fancy loaner ladder failed and we were forced to make emergency repairs (translate: I got dunked).

View attachment 9422

View attachment 9420

We did a lot of casting and stripping, ran some midges under indicators and moved around to various beaches. We found some nice fish but not the double digit monsters that we were hoping for. The trip was still a great success as I was able to spend quality time with my buddy and grandson. It just doesn't get much better than that!

View attachment 9428

View attachment 9430

By the way, the scenery was stunning!

View attachment 9431
Very cool!
I've a friend who grew up in Reno and tells me fish stories from Pyramid.