Deschutes in Late May

For everyone except that one person in the entire PNW that's never been there or fished it, a report like this might be construed hotspotting. In truth, the salmonfly hatch on the Deschutes in May isn't much of a secret.

This year was one for the records! The hot weather that spiked the flows and huge storm blew out the river in mid-May kept fisherfolk away in droves (so to speak).

We put in at Mecca on the 25th. The water was still high and a bit off-color, but nothing like the previous week. The hot weather spiked the flows to about double the normal flow. On top of that a freak thunderstorm triggered a flash flood on the north side opposite Luelling. Between the two events the river was badly blown out during what should have been the peak of the hatch. (Check out the You Tube video of the blowout: ). Fortunately, we had scheduled out float for the following week to avoid the full moon.

We left from Mecca on Thursday 5/25 As usual the stretch to Trout Creek was 'well attended', but when we turned the corner we were practically fishing alone. This trend continued until the takeout the following Tuesday. Crazy (but good) for the salmonfly hatch!

Fishing was great, although the mid-day topwater action was subdued in the bright sunshine. The dry fly fishing really turned on whenever we had partly cloudy weather. Early mornings and late evenings were epic as well. Lots of action in the backeddies with a swung fly. No shortage of bugs on the D this time of year!

The only discordant note - as usual - was the apprehension about finding a campsite. Although we fished alone for most of the trip we saw many more recreational (non-fishing) floaters on the water. This created as much competition for campsites as the usual fishing crowds.

Attention BLM: Wanna score points with the fishing crowd? Establish a reservation system for sites that can be completed when float permits are purchased! That way groups can stagger and not have to worry about 'room at the inn'.

If you've never done this multi-day float and you don't mind crowded river conditions, this is one for your bucket list. In truth, the river is great all the time. No need to join the throngs in May, although there is something about the salmonfly hatch that drives both fisherfolk and trout ape-shit!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Deschutes in May. It can be cold and windy one moment then next you are taking off layers because the clouds dissipate, the sun is beating on you and it’s hot and you repeat this on and off with layers multiple times throughout the day. At least from my experiences. Good fishing tho.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wow, ok...this is crazy. I'm pretty sure you're in the same exact spot that we were in on June 2nd 2020 when a similar storm ruined our day. Similar deal, flash flood turned the river chocolate. We were fortunate to park the boats and take shelter in the shitter. Same one you're at I think! It's the first one below the house that is across from Dry Creek, right?

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Attention BLM: Wanna score points with the fishing crowd? Establish a reservation system for sites that can be completed when float permits are purchased! That way groups can stagger and not have to worry about 'room at the inn'.
I disagree with this approach. It will be misused and result in unoccupied campsites that are reserved and nobody shows. We’ve seen this at USFS and NPS campsites for the last few years and it results in underutilized resources. My impression is that the government agencies are happy with this result. Your video of the mudflow are amazing. I’ve been on the river and seen the results but never seen the source.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just to be clear... I didn't shoot the video. I became aware of it through the Deschutes Angler blog.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Dah- ham! That’s not even chocolate milk, more like a rocky road/chocolate chunk milk shake.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We walked across the flood zone, knowing that it had been both recent and somewhat cataclysmic, without knowing any details. It was only after seeing the video that we got it.

It was huge!