DC and Denver trip

I had to go to Bethesda MD on bizness, so I decided to find a couple fishing holes. I have a friend in the area and we commonly try to fish when I go out there. We settled on a place called Double Spur Outfitters in Star Tannery VA. It is about 90 min from Bethesda. They have a day's worth of fishing water that goes from riffles to deep holes, as is shown here.Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.49.10 AM.png

The water shown above is near the parking area. There are nice cabins here right along the river. There is a bunch of water upstream that is far less civilized. It is a stocked wateway- the owner raises and plants his own fish. They were nice fish and we caught a bunch. Buggers and large nymphs were very active.

I had a lot of fun fishing for selective fish with dries. Cast to the rise, see the strike, set the hook. It is enough to take your mind off things for a few hours.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 5.36.21 PM.png

You gotta take such things for what they are, but this truly was a fun break from work. It's closed in the hot months.

I stayed one night in Strasburg Virginia and ate at the Blue Wing Frog. This was a highlight of the trip. Great grub, great bread, everything homemade. The proprietors were fun folks.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 5.35.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 5.35.42 PM.png

Then I went to Denver to visit my kid, who is moving to NYC soon. I have always wanted to visit the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, just outside of town, and fish for pike there. I spent a morning doing so- no luck, but I was able to target one for a while and I saw a teenager and his buddy catch a nice one on a plug. This was the highlight of their week I think, and everyone around was interested. Me, for sure. This was the fishing water.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 5.37.01 PM.png

The arsenal is very cool- lots of birding and trails, plus a several mile wilderness drive with these guys wandering around.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 5.37.24 PM.png

I probably tried to do too much on a single trip, but it was good and I got to visit with friends and my kid, which made it all worthwhile.

Last edited: