Damn😲

VMP

Steelhead
Argentina. Estimated at 66lb, 46.5 inches in length with a girth of 31 inches, caught at Lake Pearson, National Park Los Glaciares, Santa Cruz Province in Argentina's Patagonia. Caught on a spoon on spinning gear, so it does not count🤪 (that is a tongue in cheek emoji !)
More background on the catch below.

Last edited:

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Argentina. Estimated at 66lb, 46.5 inches in length with a girth of 31 inches, caught at Lake Pearson, National Park Los Glaciares, Santa Cruz Province in Argentina's Patagonia. Caught on a spoon on spinning gear, so it does not count🤪
More background on the catch below.
Spoons count!

VMP

Steelhead
Invasive species
For those interested, some general reading on the fairly recent invasion below. Also some more scientific reading below that. Process is ongoing in Chile and Argentina, some of those king salmon originate from our own local waters (see Figure here, note the flipped North and South maps on the figure) by way of deliberate and accidental releases from Chile (See this link).

Some general reading

Some scientifc literature

Last edited:

Smalma

Life of the Party
I remember watch a fly fishing show around 2010 of a well know fly angler chasing sea-run browns on a famous Argentine Patagonia river and the angler catch a large brown and going how unusual looking the fish was with over size teeth. The fish was clearly Chinook salmon in its spawning colors. Not surprisingly my email to the show went unanswered.

Crut

Otter

Steelhead
Thanks for the info links, VMP. For others who are picky about fish facts, I found a couple of errors in two articles.

The author of the currentresults.com article wrote that chinook are South America's largest freshwater fish. There are larger species, such as the arapaima (Arapaima gigas), with these stats:
"commonly measuring 200 cm (79 in) and reportedly exceptionally reaching lengths of up to 450 cm (15 ft). Adults may weigh up to 200 kg (440 lb)."
The author of the article in thefisheriesblog.com wrote:
"Ocean ranching is a type of aquaculture in which juvenile fish are put into net pens in the ocean where they are fed and grown until being harvested later"
He is describing net pen salmon aquaculture, not ocean ranching. With ocean ranching, juvenile salmon from hatcheries are placed in saltwater net pens just briefly, to acclimatize them to saltwater, then released into the open ocean, where they live, feed, and grow to adulthood. Then, they return to the hatchery area, to be harvested by commercial and recreational fishers.

I remember learning about Pacific (and Atlantic) salmon being introduced to Chile, back when I was a fisheries student in the 1980's. I am dismayed to now learn they have invaded more areas, even around to the Atlantic Ocean. I did a bit of research, back in my student days, on the negative impacts of "introduced" species. At that time, I could not find a single successful effort to remove an introduced species. I don't know if there has been success since those days. In any case, I understand that introduced invasives are right up there with habitat loss, pollution, and climate change, as a major cause of biodiversity loss.

VMP

Steelhead
Thanks for the info links, VMP. For others who are picky about fish facts, I found a couple of errors in two articles.
Gotta admit that although I am quite familiar and have contributed with the science done with salmonids down south, I should have read the general reading links I shared! You are quite right about the errors there.
Awesome chinook! Glad they are repopulating down south. Let's hope chinook bounce back up in Alaska, BC, and PNW.
Not repopulating, invading. Although exciting from a fisherman's point of view, the situation is quite a bit more conplex in terms of impact on conservation of native species and ecosystems, management and socio economic impacts for the locals. Not a black and white issue for sure. Other invasive species from up here are also creating havoc over there such as invasive beavers. Cool to see those fish in the abstract for sure and a heartbreak we don't see them thriving in their native habitat.

Last edited:

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well, not to brag, but I caught a 60 pound Chinook in tidewater on the Nehalem river 36 years ago, on a spinner, sorry, not a fly. It was only the third biggest caught on that river that year.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
As a young kid I hooked and landed a 41 lb chinook (weighed at the resort in Hansville). It was the genesis for my life-long obsession and in one way or another I’ve been chasing that fish and that thrill ever since.

I can’t imagine how much hooking a fish 50% larger like the one in that video would have affected my life, but holy crap do I want to find out.