Cuttie Extravaganza

Islander

Life of the Party
I have been targeting larger fish since the ice off and have been somewhat successful, but most trips it was quality over quantity. Wanting to switch things up a bit I headed over to a nearby P&T lake that is stocked with Yellowstone Cutthroat hoping to get a little more activity. I was about two miles in on the dirt road when to my surprise there was an excavator digging a trench for a new culvert blocking the road. Luckily I remembered this road looped around to the highway, so I turned around, drove north about 5 miles and started back towards the lake. It took me an extra 20 minutes or so, but I was rewarded with sightings of deer, antelope and even a cow moose. I took the Echo 10’ 3wt figuring it would be enough rod for stockers. Finally hit the water around noon and had the lake all to myself. I was barely kicking away from the launch area when I got the first hookup. The cutties were cooperative and I found an area that had some very small bugs coming off that kept me very busy. I lost count after 20 or so and had a blast until around 4:00 when the wind picked up and I called it a day. All the fish were in the 10”-13” range and a blast on the 3wt. The majority of them came on a pumpkin head and full sink line, although I did bring another rod with a floater and tried some balanced leeches under a bobber just to try out the technique. All in all a fun day on the water.

IMG_2345.jpeg
Great weather until the wind hit.

IMG_2337.jpeg
A family of otters kept me entertained in between hookups.

IMG_2342.jpegIMG_2335.jpeg
Beautiful little cutties.

IMG_2344.jpeg
My “release photos” are getting better.

tkww

Steelhead
I lost count after 20 or so and had a blast until around 4:00 when the wind picked up and I called it a day. All the fish were in the 10”-13” range and a blast on the 3wt.
Out of curiosity, what brand/line are you running as a sinker on a 3 wt?

Islander

Life of the Party
I’m running a Rio Mainstream 4wt full sink. Nothing fancy and reasonably priced as I use my sinkers a lot and tend to wear them out pretty fast. The rod is an Echo Shadow II 10’ 3wt. I bought it to use as a nymphing rod for the rivers when our local lakes are frozen, but also use it a lot in my float tube. It throws a 4wt line just fine, but having a 3wt rating really come alive with smaller fish.

tkww

Steelhead
I’m running a Rio Mainstream 4wt full sink. Nothing fancy and reasonably priced as I use my sinkers a lot and tend to wear them out pretty fast. The rod is an Echo Shadow II 10’ 3wt. I bought it to use as a nymphing rod for the rivers when our local lakes are frozen, but also use it a lot in my float tube. It throws a 4wt line just fine, but having a 3wt rating really come alive with smaller fish.
Thanks for the info. I have that line, as it's the only 4 wt sinker I could find. (I love using 3 & 4wts for stockers!). I do have a 3 wt euro rod, so maybe I'll give that combo a try next time.