NFR crazy....

Non-fishing related

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Context is important. Headlines don't tell the whole story.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Always? Where I live the "non-profit" (and religiously-affiliated) provider was recently fined almost 23 million for this. Well, also for failing to report the two doctors to the authorities, so one them simply moved and set up the same scam in another town.

I'm not saying this as an argument for "for-profit" health care. But I think it's fair to say that "non-profit" doesn't mean what people think it means. It is still all about the profits.
worked in both, and was an officer on the governing board of trustees finance committee of a medical school/hospital.
Non-profits- revenues must be spent on salaries, facilities, construction, medical equipment, bonds, education, etc, with a max of 10% of 'profit' over operating costs banked for reserves each year.
For profits - no maximum to what can be taken off the top for shareholder return, which is always derived from lowering operating costs and maximizing procedures.
The biggest difference can be found in their respect CDM, the 'chargemaster', which stipulates what each hospital will charge for room, nurses, band-aids, procedures, tests, etc. The for-profit's CDM will always be higher, and along with over-utilization procedures and morbidity rate (hospital generated infection and death) is the primary driver behind hospital investigations.

As to doctors, plenty of bad ones in both...akin to having a driving license, doesn't mean you can actually drive worth a damn

Last edited:

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
worked in both, and was an officer on the governing board of trustees finance committee of a medical school/hospital.
Non-profits- revenues must be spent on salaries, facilities, construction, medical equipment, bonds, education, etc, with a max of 10% of 'profit' over operating costs banked for reserves each year.
For profits - no maximum to what can be taken off the top for shareholder return, which is always derived from lowering operating costs and maximizing procedures.
The biggest difference can be found in their respect CDM, the 'chargemaster', which stipulates what each hospital will charge for room, nurses, band-aids, procedures, tests, etc. The for-profit's CDM will always be higher, and along with over-utilization procedures and morbidity rate (hospital generated infection and death) is the primary driver behind hospital investigations.

As to doctors, plenty of bad ones in both...akin to having a driving license, doesn't mean you can actually drive worth a damn
I've also worked with both kinds of hospitals, not saying non-profits are necessarily great, but my experience with one for-profit was much worse for the patients. Neither seem great for doctors, nurses and others working for them. Our healthcare system in the US is so messed up, not that I would call it a system.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've also worked with both kinds of hospitals, not saying non-profits are necessarily great, but my experience with one for-profit was much worse for the patients. Neither seem great for doctors, nurses and others working for them. Our healthcare system in the US is so messed up, not that I would call it a system.
no doubt...always comes down to location. Non-profits in low income areas can be nightmares...

BigSky_ 2

Smolt
Forum Supporter
"On the 30th of October the FBI raided Tenet's Redding Hospital in California, alleing two cardiac doctors had carried out large numbers of cardiac procedures that were neither indicated, nor necessary, some on patients with normal heart, performing hundreds of unnecessary heart operations. The raid was followed by the exposure of the outlier scam in which a loophole was used to charge far more for sicker patients. Because of this loophole Tenet had changed its policies. It was specifically targeting major surgery and sicker patients at the expense of conditions which paid less well."
My Uncle was one of those patients who underwent an unnecessary heart bypass operation at this hospital and died from complications. Based on a life expectancy scale and his age at death the immediate family was awarded a million dollars.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
My Uncle was one of those patients who underwent an unnecessary heart bypass operation at this hospital and died from complications. Based on a life expectancy scale and his age at death the immediate family was awarded a million dollars.
the performing surgeon should have been tried for murder

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party

So, which side of the profit game would hospital/ medical systems run by universities fall into? I suspect " for profit" but the ones I'm familiar with blur the line

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
So, which side of the profit game would hospital/ medical systems run by universities fall into? I suspect " for profit" but the ones I'm familiar with blur the line
usually a non-profit, part of the same operation.
There are hybrids, however, and was involved in starting one in SF.
We wanted to increase surgeon participation in our medical school's hospital, so we formed a for-profit surgi-center vehicle with a contracted surgeon group.
The for-profit rented OR time from the the non-profit at a discounted rate.
The surgeons billed for operating services and the for-profit billed for the rooms at market rate, giving half of the profit of the market rate minus rental fee to the physician group, the other half of profits were 'gifted' to the non-profit.
This arrangement both increased OR utilization, as well as generated more 'room nights' for the non-profit from those patients needing recovery after surgey. A win win all around.
Until Medicare and the State changed the rules 6 years later, making such contracts illegal, when it was discovered that the wave of emerging surgi-centers were competing for market share by paying illegal 'bonuses' to the surgeons to bring them their cases.

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
usually a non-profit, part of the same operation.
There are hybrids, however, and was involved in starting one in SF.
We wanted to increase surgeon participation in our medical school's hospital, so we formed a for-profit surgi-center vehicle with a contracted surgeon group.
The for-profit rented OR time from the the non-profit at a discounted rate.
The surgeons billed for operating services and the for-profit billed for the rooms at market rate, giving half of the profit of the market rate minus rental fee to the physician group, the other half of profits were 'gifted' to the non-profit.
This not only increased OT utilization by 50%, it also generated more 'room nights' for the non-profit from those patients needing a few days of recovery after surgey. It was a win win all around.
Until Medicare and the State changed the rules 6 years later, sending us cease and desist letters, as the wave of similar surgi-centers that had followed us became a major issue when it was discovered the hospitals were paying illegal 'bonuses' to the surgeons to bring in their patients.
If we had only thought of that.. :)
So, business makes strange bedfellows?

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Don't forget glyphosate. Same deal.
To make matter worse, it doesn't matter if you live a pure organic life.
I heard of another study (via dude from joe rogan I think) who they tested people living in the artic, who had never been close to any pesticides, still tested positive.

This all ties into the other thread about global warming.
Think the government or corporations will help, HA!
PS- is a non profit really much of a thing anymore? My wife works for the chas clinic, which I believe is non profit, but God damn they were raking in some covid profits....or maybe my basic understanding on non profit is wrong/skewed.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter

Don't forget glyphosate. Same deal.
To make matter worse, it doesn't matter if you live a pure organic life.
I heard of another study (via dude from joe rogan I think) who they tested people living in the artic, who had never been close to any pesticides, still tested positive.

This all ties into the other thread about global warming.
Think the government or corporations will help, HA!
PS- is a non profit really much of a thing anymore? My wife works for the chas clinic, which I believe is non profit, but God damn they were raking in some covid profits....or maybe my basic understanding on non profit is wrong/skewed.
non-profits can provide cover for the biggest scams on earth...Scientology rakes in billions tax-free...the Vatican's wealth is estimated over 15 billion, kept in investments.
No better in the for profit world, mega corps paying pennies on the earned doller thanks to tax loopholes legislators refuse to close, not wanting to piss off their donor masters

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
“While more studies are needed to confirm the findings and, if confirmed, “determine the cause” of the changes, this research’s conclusions are hard for experts to swallow.”
^straight from the article
As one who grew up in a community surrounded by massive Superfund sites I was gratified that it's findings supported my personal non-statistically significant anecdotal experience. 🙂