Cooke gets cancelled

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Opening this link might be problematic for some . It took me 4 tries to get past all the walls.

I get a subscription paywall.

Too bad, this will keep people from being able to eat a healthy protein source.

I guess the kings game will be for those of means. $$$$$

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Fuck sea based net pen fish farms. Fuck Cooke and their lies and shitty business practices. This is good news for native fish and good news for the puget sound.

This might be an easier link to access:

Chucker

Steelhead
Too bad, this will keep people from being able to eat a healthy protein source.

There is a massive amount of evidence from around the world showing that open water fish farming destroys native salmon populations. With those native fish go the jobs and the way of life that was sustained by the fish, as well as the healthy, sustainable protein source that the native fish provided. The inputs to the fish pellet industry include lots of healthy protein sources, which are then not available for people. Salmon farming has never been about providing food, it’s about making money, and it makes money at the expense of the environment and the local community.

People will argue that the negative effects of the farms in Puget Sound and BC were not discernible amongst all the other effects causing the general decline of salmon and steelhead in the PNW, and that we will never notice any benefit from removing these pens. That might be true. The fish are suffering a death by a thousand cuts. This reduces that by one.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
There is a massive amount of evidence from around the world showing that open water fish farming destroys native salmon populations. With those native fish go the jobs and the way of life that was sustained by the fish, as well as the healthy, sustainable protein source that the native fish provided. The inputs to the fish pellet industry include lots of healthy protein sources, which are then not available for people. Salmon farming has never been about providing food, it’s about making money, and it makes money at the expense of the environment and the local community.

People will argue that the negative effects of the farms in Puget Sound and BC were not discernible amongst all the other effects causing the general decline of salmon and steelhead in the PNW, and that we will never notice any benefit from removing these pens. That might be true. The fish are suffering a death by a thousand cuts. This reduces that by one.
The article was a paywall, from the title it insinuated they were stopping land based trout farms. Im not from the area so I dont know what Cooke is/was. But from the first paragraph I could read they called them trout, not steelhead or salmon. I equate trout to fresh water, Yea farms in the sound suck.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The article was a paywall, from the title it insinuated they were stopping land based trout farms. Im not from the area so I dont know what Cooke is/was. But from the first paragraph I could read they called them trout, not steelhead or salmon. I equate trout to fresh water, Yea farms in the sound suck.

Cooke was wanting to farm in open water. Especially entertaining and sad given the failure they had a couple years ago and all their Atlantic salmon escaping. This is why they then wanted to farm a native species of frankenfish. Luckily after a bad track record, mountains of evidence documenting their detriment, and negative public sentiment the powers that be decided to deny their permit. It was a long way to make an obvious call.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Salmon farming has never been about providing food, it’s about making money, and it makes money at the expense of the environment and the local community.
This it right here!
Glad they told them to take a hike. However, where will I be able to catch Atlantic Salmon? :cool: