Contemplating a Tacoma outfit…

Thinking a Tacoma with a light weight slide in retractable camper and my DB might be “the rig for me” for my sojourns to MT/ID.

What are you guys using for this sort of thing?

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just make sure that it's really easy to get in and out... otherwise you'll be living with it all the time.

Also - there are a million websites that advertise stuff made specifically for Tacomas. (I hadn't realized that it was a thing. Taco world, Tacoma life...)

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Martinshapes surfboard builder...built the trickest camper for his Tacoma, has put endless mile on it

Yeah, at age 58 with a bad back a rig with ease of entry/exit is paramount. I did some tent camping on BigD this summer and swear that now I am done with sleeping on the ground like a filthy animal….while others seemingly enjoying the comfort of a crank up slide in camper (ATC, Fleet).
..I found myself a little envious
Just make sure that it's really easy to get in and out... otherwise you'll be living with it all the time.

Also - there are a million websites that advertise stuff made specifically for Tacomas. (I hadn't realized that it was a thing. Taco world, Tacoma life...)

goinoregon

Just Hatched
good luck with your pursuit. i just sold a full size gmc, and earlier a ATC shell model. this was a great combo. with full size truck, u get a bit bigger camper, which is nice. plus the truck got excellent mileage, and drove great.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
pick up a used low mileage used van, nothing is more comfortable getting in and out of. Want more head room, look for a conversion van with the fiberglass top. Had a series of them over the decades, platform bed just high enough for storage bins to slide underneath, swing down/away bike rack in the trailer hitch for carrying float tubes.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Thinking a Tacoma with a light weight slide in retractable camper and my DB might be “the rig for me” for my sojourns to MT/ID.

What are you guys using for this sort of thing?
Get an R-POD and a raft to haul in your truck.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I also have an RPod and frameless pontoon for lakes and calm rivers. Use the drift boat for multiday trips on the Big D. We use cots for drift boat camping which is much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Tacomas are nice rigs for sure and sometimes I miss mine, but the GMC half ton diesel replacement gets much better mileage than I did with the Tacoma.