Columbia clothing

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
…..Has really stepped up its game towards fishing clothing. My wife bought me a couple t-shirts with the spf and all, very comfortable soft shirts. Really like them. So I went to a Columbia sports store (actually in Florida) and I couldn’t believe the tops, fishing pants and shorts, hats, etc they were offering…. They have some really cool and nice fishing wear. Just thought I throw it out there.

Got myself another shirt while there.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They must have gotten a fishy dude in their board …. Something changed. And for the betterment of the fishy dude patron . 😆

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I have some columbia stuff and it all has held up nicely, and the styles/sizes have always fit me well.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I’m kind of a Columbia fanboy, but had a sun hoodie a couple of years ago that was crushingly hot. Got a couple more recently, and they’re great. Only beef I have is that the built in buff is too hot.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Been a big fan for a number of years. Honestly haven't seen much change since I've been wearing their stuff.

Their long sleeve PFG light sun hoodies are my favorite fishing shirt ever. I probably have a dozen of them and I can't begin to imagine the number of days on the water they have. Super comfortable, light enough to be cool enough in the summer, adds well to layering in the winter, a hood which is mandatory for me, quick drying, durable as all hell. Not one of my shirts has a rip. Most are covered in fish blood stains, including the one I'm wearing right now, but they just keep on ticking. Can't say enough good about these shirts. I work work in them year round.

I also really like their lightweight cargo pants.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Been a big fan for a number of years. Honestly haven't seen much change since I've been wearing their stuff.

Their long sleeve PFG light sun hoodies are my favorite fishing shirt ever. I probably have a dozen of them and I can't begin to imagine the number of days on the water they have. Super comfortable, light enough to be cool enough in the summer, adds well to layering in the winter, a hood which is mandatory for me, quick drying, durable as all hell. Not one of my shirts has a rip. Most are covered in fish blood stains, including the one I'm wearing right now, but they just keep on ticking. Can't say enough good about these shirts. I work work in them year round.

That’s all great Nick, but how do you feel about the Columbia brand when it comes to fashion and do they also offer a light rain shell? 😉😂
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Used to be some woman referred to as "Mother" in Columbia ads. This was in the 70s and 80s. She was responsible for all the fishing clothing designs. That's when Columbia made the best fishing vests that could be had, when fly fishermen carried their stuff in vests. Remember the "Kalama?" A short style vest that was the best thing ever for deep wading trout and steelhead anglers. Maybe Mother's daughter or granddaughter has returned to the company . . .

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Used to be some woman referred to as "Mother" in Columbia ads. This was in the 70s and 80s. She was responsible for all the fishing clothing designs. That's when Columbia made the best fishing vests that could be had, when fly fishermen carried their stuff in vests. Remember the "Kalama?" A short style vest that was the best thing ever for deep wading trout and steelhead anglers. Maybe Mother's daughter or granddaughter has returned to the company . . .

That was Gert Boyle. Her dad started the company. She passed away and her son Tim who was in the commercials with her now runs the company.
SF

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

I wore a deep wading Kalama vest for many years. Those two big high mounted pockets were just the thing for a couple of large boxes. After a number of repairs I finally declared it worn out but it's likely that I still have it at the bottom of a pile somewhere.

Last edited:

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
That was Gert Boyle. Her dad started the company. She passed away and her son Tim who was in the commercials with her now runs the company.
SF
Met Gert once at the ski show in Vegas. They were our competitors in the business. Domestic manufacturing was hard to compete with those who made stuff overseas.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
They make nice stuff for a good price. I bought the Tamiami shirt for $41 during the REI spring sale. Not the quality of some of my Simms or Patagonia shirts, but also not that far off and for half the price.

Reactions: Zak

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have a handful of their long sleeve sun shirts. They've held up really well and are pretty comfortable. My Patagonia sun hoodies are the best I've ever used in both comfort and longevity. The Columbia ones aren't far off and cost considerably less.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
That's good because they went to crap when they went to China That's when I switched brands.. now China can make good stuff IF you get the right manufacturing.
Note the difference between the quality of Allen brand packs vs packs from Fishpond.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Keep an eye on bamboo viscose outdoor clothing too. Soft and cool to the touch.

20230625_094039.jpg
Arm tattoos sold separately.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I had a Kalama and my first Gore Tex wading jacket was a Columbia.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Keep an eye on bamboo viscose outdoor clothing too. Soft and cool to the touch.

View attachment 70086
Arm tattoos sold separately.
I have had two very comfortable bamboo polo shirts shrink badly in length so be aware and pay attention to fabric blend, sizing and care recommendations, along with (esp. any negative) reviews.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin

I just got an XL tall! Last one in stock. Excited to get it.