NFR College Football 2022

Non-fishing related

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
What a way for Ohio State to lose the game. I thought they were going to pull it out. A great game to watch. I will be rooting for TCU next 1/9. Btw, that is not my hand in the photo....lol

1672549446452.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
We got our money’s worth today.
Even with all its issues, college football proved again it is the best game going.
SF

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I always go to bed at 9:30 or 10 at night. I went to sleep early last night to not to be able hear all the fireworks that go off every New years eve here in Montana. I saw that Ohio State. was ahead so I figured that they would play TCU next week. Surprise, surprise I saw that Georgia won. I was hoping they would.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
SC is the worst good team I have ever seen. You have to plan on at least 40 points to beat them but their matador defense makes that easily possible.

Their defensive coordinator ( Steve Seine or is it Carl Colander?) needs to become a Uber driver. Bring in Kurt Kaopectate and put a stop to the seepage.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Now that these players are getting payed do they get to keep their scholarships?

I think it should be one or the other but not both. A scholarship is worth some where around $50 thou or more depending on school. That is per year. tuition, books, room and board, medical and dental, plus tutoring. And it is tax free.,

Do these athletes owe the schools something for the scholarship I really believe that they do. They had a free choice before they signed on, just like anyone else who signed a contract for services to be rendered.

I was a contractor for 30 years, just like these high school kids going to play ball, and when I signed a contract I was responsible to uphold my end of the deal and believe these Primadona's are responsible for honoring there signing.

Your word is your honor and who you are! If you cann't honor your self then you are nothing.

Dave
The school is no "on the hook" on their end. The scholarships are year to year. It's not a multi-year contract in any way. Also, the NIL deals in no way make the athlete (labor) not honor their scholarship.

The players are being paid from a 3rd party for their name image and likeness. It does not keep them from fulfilling their role as a scholarship athlete. I don't know why they can't get paid for advertising etc. You can in the pros. There is no reason that they owe anyone anything. The school does not own their name image or likeness for accepting a scholarship. They did not sign on to a scholarship and give up their right to make a living outside of the scholarship requirements. These are humans, not cattle that can be owned.

Your contracts likely did not preclude you from making money doing other things outside of the contracted work. You could have filmed commercials on the weekend, no? Their scholarship agreements don't. What do they owe the schools for? They are upholding their end of the deal by playing football for the school. The school provides a scholarship. The NIL stuff is a separate income stream. The school does not own them.

What everyone misses is that the athletes still cannot negotiate their compensation for playing football either individually or collectively. Having a choice of schools is fart different from being able to negotiate. The market does not work if there is a cabal running the show.

So yes, you had to uphold their end of the deal. So do they. The deal is "year to year" and unlike you, they did not get to negotiate the terms or the compensation in the contract. The 2 types of "contracts" are in no way similar.

Calling athletes "primadona's" is kind of odd. I call them labor, because, you know they are working in a for profit industry.

cody-

Steelhead
Having TEs like Kuithe and Kincaid really masked that Utah has not had good wide receiver play all year. Rising had to make a lot happen with his legs in the first half, and I don't recall Barnes having the same ability. Might get pretty out of hand from here on out.

Edit: sure enough, it got out of hand. Lol. Better than being USC though. Go Utes. I really don't know what they're going to look like next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCF

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
Joel Klatt's interesting take on college football officiating:

<>

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Joel Klatt's interesting take on college football officiating:

<>

Thank you, Mr. Klatt!!!

A similar conundrum exist in baseball regarding called balls and strikes. Some umpires see the plate as 20'' wide where others see it as 15". The computer always sees it as 17''. Some umps give the pitcher the outside or the inside of the plate, some are known as low ball umps and others call the high strikes, none are perfect.

Baseball, however, has the cure for this but are slow to implement it. If we can put a satellite on an asteroid several million miles out in space, collect samples and return them to earth we can sure as hell tell when a baseball crosses the plate about 60 feet away. Umps should be in a similar condition to the players physically, not the obese old farts that keep their jobs well into their dotage.

But I digress. With some coaches making over 11 million dollars a year now it is obvious that college football has the funds to improve officiating. But the tail is wagging the dog.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
TONIGHT!!!!!!!!
I’m pulling for Georgia. Their D better show up in force as TCU can move the ball and score. I’m not much of a score predictor so I’ll just go with UGA by 5

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
TONIGHT!!!!!!!!
I’m pulling for Georgia. Their D better show up in force as TCU can move the ball and score. I’m not much of a score predictor so I’ll just go with UGA by 5
Then you should take TCU and the 13.5...at least that's what I saw it was at last night.