Cold toes

Headed in shortly after first light:20230325_063411-01.jpegHad a few minutes by myself without anything until @troutpocket was seen and then boom my first brown of the year😁20230325_072751-01.jpegEnded up getting around 5 fish as Rod got ready. That's always fun to do to a fishing buddy🤣20230325_101201-01.jpegThis place is always surreal: 20230325_085149-01.jpegWas a solid numbers day for me:20230325_091556-01.jpegTook a great walk to warm up:20230325_121653-02.jpegThe sky was a mix of threatening clouds and some glorious sunshine:20230325_143322-01.jpegGame on:20230325_101129-01.jpegSolid streamer bites on the sinking lines really made the day a hoot:20230325_093033-01.jpegThe hike out seems to get harder every year:20230325_180717-01.jpeg
Billy🍻

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Yesterday was a rare day in which I never tied on a fly. The first fly I had success with was a red/black simiseal leech on a size 10 jig hook fished with my type five:20230325_144148-01.jpeg20230325_085945-01.jpegThen I really found a deep bite on a type 7 with my craw jig and never looked back:20230225_153158-01.jpegI totally geeked out with my Garmin😍

This is my craw jig on the right that I allowed to swing down near vertical and am jigging up and down and a fish chilling down below me. Seen on the left side of the screen:20230325_164329.jpgA fish swimming down after release:20230325_153012.jpgA couple fish around a daphnia pod:20230325_143450.jpgNessi that you? 🧐
20230325_162613.jpg
Billy

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Headed in shortly after first light:View attachment 59285Had a few minutes by myself without anything until @troutpocket was seen and then boom my first brown of the year😁View attachment 59286Ended up getting around 5 fish as Rod got ready. That's always fun to do to a fishing buddy🤣View attachment 59297This place is always surreal: View attachment 59291Was a solid numbers day for me:View attachment 59290Took a great walk to warm up:View attachment 59296The sky was a mix of threatening clouds and some glorious sunshine:View attachment 59294Game on:View attachment 59289Solid streamer bites on the sinking lines really made the day a hoot:View attachment 59288The hike out seems to get harder every year:View attachment 59292
Billy🍻
Beautiful landscape photos👍

and the fish weren’t too bad, either 😁

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Headed in shortly after first light:View attachment 59285Had a few minutes by myself without anything until @troutpocket was seen and then boom my first brown of the year😁View attachment 59286Ended up getting around 5 fish as Rod got ready. That's always fun to do to a fishing buddy🤣View attachment 59297This place is always surreal: View attachment 59291Was a solid numbers day for me:View attachment 59290Took a great walk to warm up:View attachment 59296The sky was a mix of threatening clouds and some glorious sunshine:View attachment 59294Game on:View attachment 59289Solid streamer bites on the sinking lines really made the day a hoot:View attachment 59288The hike out seems to get harder every year:View attachment 59292
Billy🍻
I wish I was young enough to do that arduous hike down to and back up from that lake.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I wish I was young enough to do that arduous hike down to and back up from that lake.
I think all the Burke anglers could hear me huffing and puffing up the hill probably thought a bull got out from a local farmer or something🤣
Great photos and write up! No kidding about the cold toes. And this morning I woke up feeling like I did some work or something?
Yeah I'm a little sore for sure.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Gorgeous photos!

Divad

Whitefish
Nice looking patterns, those fish should be lucky to sample!

I nabbed one of the Nocqua 4.4ah batteries too and am loving it!

Islander

Life of the Party
Great report and fantastic pics. One day after one of my local lakes finally thawed out we got hit with the Wyoming version of the Seeger Effect. Snow for 3-4 days. At least I can read about catching fish!

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Billy, I enjoyed your great photos and the information you shared on the use of your Striker sonar. I've fished that lake a few times and really wonder about the that hike again. I've watched the 1-1/2 hour on the use of the Striker 4 twice now but still need to learn to mark fish. Do you ever use the A-Scope alongside the traditional sonar screen? I too would be interested to see how you have your tube outfitted, as I currently use a Hawkeye Fishtrax on my tube and a Striker 4 on my pontoon boat. The Hawkeye is nice and small and weighs nothing, but it is very limited in useability and has a very small screen. Thanks again for the great report!

Also, your Craw jig looks super Carpy!!

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I dunno, that jiggy craw looks too much like graboid craw. I hope you're not planning on marketing those unless you want some lawyers knockin' on your door....;)

I think you need to send me some of those....another trade?

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Billy,

I can't stand cold toes. I got a fancy new-fangled float tube for hike in lakes, but I'm looking for that timing window after cold toes but before the lakes are too warm for good fishing. Please give me a holler after the risk of experiencing a Seeger Effect is past.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Billy,

I can't stand cold toes. I got a fancy new-fangled float tube for hike in lakes, but I'm looking for that timing window after cold toes but before the lakes are too warm for good fishing. Please give me a holler after the risk of experiencing a Seeger Effect is past.
LOL oh I promise I'll let you know when to get after it Salmo 😁

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Billy, I enjoyed your great photos and the information you shared on the use of your Striker sonar. I've fished that lake a few times and really wonder about the that hike again. I've watched the 1-1/2 hour on the use of the Striker 4 twice now but still need to learn to mark fish. Do you ever use the A-Scope alongside the traditional sonar screen? I too would be interested to see how you have your tube outfitted, as I currently use a Hawkeye Fishtrax on my tube and a Striker 4 on my pontoon boat. The Hawkeye is nice and small and weighs nothing, but it is very limited in useability and has a very small screen. Thanks again for the great report!

Also, your Craw jig looks super Carpy!!
Not sure what the ascope is? So far I like the split screen view of 77 and 244 best. I also occasionally do the clear vu to check things out. I'm planning to do an article on setting up the garmin shortly.