Coffee talk

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Green coffee beans can be had at Good Coffee Company, Downtown over on Post Alley between Marion and Colombia.

Be forewarned that the owner is this really old guy and is really close to being stone-cold deaf. Come to think of it, I wonder if he's still alive.
Sounds like a fun thing to try. However, my wife would leave me if I ever tried to roast beans.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I have friends who own coffee companies. One will custom roast for me. Have my burr grinder (an electric and an antique heirloom manual handcrank as well).

I have everything from a French press Moka pot all the way to a hybrid K cup/drip coffee maker. Mind you in camp I use my percolaters.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I wait for Costco k-cups to go on sale (don't give a shit about which blend), jump in drum brake death trap and buy about 10 boxes (don't give a shit about rotating stock for freshness date in storage) and then simply slap k-cups in keurig machine as needed.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I wait for Costco k-cups to go on sale (don't give a shit about which blend), jump in drum brake death trap and buy about 10 boxes (don't give a shit about rotating stock for freshness date in storage) and then simply slap k-cups in keurig machine as needed.
The epitome of living dangerously!

krusty

Forum Supporter

krusty

Forum Supporter
They do make an adapter for a lot of K cup machines that allows you to add your own ground coffee to it. Looks like a permanent filter for most drip makers.
Got some of those. Functions ok, but involves work.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I do pour over with mountain spring water collected at the site (Hwy 26 spring, coast range). We have a few good local roasters, I prefer whole bean and grind before brewing. At this point, I only drink 1 maybe 2 cups a day. I sold my 3 grouphead espresso machine, that was a sad day. But when your surounded by no less then 16 retail coffee joints I couldnt make it pencil out. I'm guessing my next step will be to roast my own, I'll keep an eye on this.
I know where that spring is. My daily coffee is the Costco San Francisco Bay French Roast in a drip coffee maker (also from Costco). On weekends, I sometimes drag out the French press but prefer drip coffee. When I’m camping, I do the same thing manually, but I guess now they call it pour over. When I was in college at the UW there was only one Starbucks store at Pike Place Market and I used to pick up beans there.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I admit it, I drink far more....tea. I've got that British Isles style from my extended family.

But when I do coffee, it's via a Chemex with coffee from a local roaster up here.

Question:

What's the most economical way to grind by own beans decently? Given that coffee isn't a daily thing for me, I could probably get by with a manual grinder? Or is that just going to be a pain in the ass? My coffee nerd friends are just SO insistent that fresh ground beans make the difference.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Some people drink K-cups every day! There’s no accounting for taste.

That said, my caffeine habit is such that I’ll drink from a <shudder> Keurig if that’s what’s available. Any port in a storm.
There are people in my life who have no use for my coffee preferences. K-cups, bad drip coffee from a gas station, whatever works when I’m not at home running my own program 🤓

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Up until you serve her the first cup. Just roast when she's not home.
She doesn't like coffee, unfortunately. I used to brew espresso when she was pregnant with morning sickness. I saw the look of imminent doom in her eyes. :mad:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
There are people in my life who have no use for my coffee preferences. K-cups, bad drip coffee from a gas station, whatever works when I’m not at home running my own program
Yeah, like beer, I'll drink what you've got cold (hot). I'm not being a snob when someone offers me a cup of joe when I'm bleary eyed.

That said, I don't like how much waste there is with k-cups.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I admit it, I drink far more....tea. I've got that British Isles style from my extended family.

But when I do coffee, it's via a Chemex with coffee from a local roaster up here.

Question:

What's the most economical way to grind by own beans decently? Given that coffee isn't a daily thing for me, I could probably get by with a manual grinder? Or is that just going to be a pain in the ass? My coffee nerd friends are just SO insistent that fresh ground beans make the difference.
You can find the manual grinders, but the electric are almost same price.

BTW I love tea as well. Living in Europe, and spending a lot of time in the UK, I have a love for it. Have a glass tea pot plus the tea baskets for single cups. Really fell in love with the Irish breakfast teas last trip I did to Ireland. So now keep a bag of it on hand.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
When I was in Hawaii I brought my Aeropress and bought local roasted beans. When I’m on a fishing trip I often bring a French press and buy whatever half decent ground coffee is on sale. Quick prep being the priority when fishing is involved.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I guess I’m the outsider here. For a while I’ve had a mocha concoction from Costco for my morning drink. But lately I’ve gone back to tea, light and sweet. That means, black tea, honey, and a dribble of whole milk.