Coastal Steelhead Sport Fishing Closure on March 1

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
Date: Feb. 23, 2022
Media Contact: Eryn Couch, 360-890-6604

State announces full closure to coastal steelhead fishing to support conservation following indications of lower-than-expected returns

OLYMPIA – In an effort to meet management objectives and provide necessary protection for dwindling wild steelhead populations, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today announced a full closure to all sport fishing throughout the Washington Coast and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The full closure will take effect Tuesday, March 1.

The closure follows the review of preliminary data that suggests the forecasted returns are likely coming back as low as 30 percent of what fishery managers expected, foreshadowing perhaps the lowest return ever recorded in some rivers. Based on historic return timing, most hatchery steelhead runs have ended and the wild steelhead returns are more than one-third of the way complete.

“Throughout our conversations with anglers and the broader coastal community, we’ve been upfront about our commitment to designing fisheries that meet our conservation objectives,” said Kelly Cunningham, WDFW fish program director. “With this preliminary data in hand that now suggests coastal steelhead returns are significantly lower than we expected, we need to take bold, swift actions for the future of these runs.”

Last week, WDFW fishery managers also kicked off a long-term planning process for coastal steelhead management with the first meeting of the Ad-hoc Coastal Steelhead Advisory Group. The group will be helping to inform the development of a long-term management plan to protect native and hatchery-produced steelhead for each river system of Grays Harbor, Willapa Bay, and coastal Olympic Peninsula, as required by the Washington Legislature in the 2021-23 budget.

WDFW will submit the ensuing plan to the Legislature by the end of 2022. For more information about the group, including meeting summary information and details of upcoming meetings, visit WDFW’s Ad-Hoc Coastal Steelhead Advisory Group web page.

WDFW continues to operate under its Statewide Steelhead Management Plan, which requires the Department to prioritize the sustainability of wild coastal steelhead runs by focusing on healthy levels of abundance, productivity, diversity, and distribution.

Tribal governments along the coast are closely monitoring their coastal steelhead fisheries and considering in-season management steps to continue to support conservation.

To help support future, more robust in-season freshwater monitoring for coastal steelhead and other fisheries, WDFW is requesting $2.6 million in new state funding this legislative session. To learn more about the budget request, visit WDFW's budget information web page.

For more information about coastal steelhead management, visit wdfw.wa.gov/coastal-steelhead.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife works to preserve, protect and perpetuate fish, wildlife and ecosystems while providing sustainable fish and wildlife recreational and commercial opportunities.

Individuals who need to receive this information in an alternative format, language, or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact the Title VI/ADA Compliance Coordinator by phone at 360-902-2349, TTY (711), or email (Title6@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see https://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/requests-accommodation.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
But…but…but….How will the guides feed their dogs?!?!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Everyone should call now and reserve your rock on the Cowlitz now…..
SF

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I used to feel for you Washingtonians - I have felt your pain with the closure of the Deschutes and North Umpqua last year.
The first year of how many?

Divad

Whitefish
This may sound insane. But what about a raffle program like hunting per river instead of closing? I’d say a pay per river scheme could be an option but many folk flock to the Hoh and a $200 river stamp wouldn’t change pressure.

This would still give the multi million dollar winter run industry a shot at producing. I’ve met people this year out there from S Africa, Norway and Aus. Along with many states and all us WA folk.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This may sound insane. But what about a raffle program like hunting per river instead of closing? I’d say a pay per river scheme could be an option but many folk flock to the Hoh and a $200 river stamp wouldn’t change pressure.

This would still give the multi million dollar winter run industry a shot at producing. I’ve met people this year out there from S Africa, Norway and Aus. Along with many states and all us WA folk.

The problem isn't the impact the sports put on the fishery so making people pay more won't improve the situation.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hmmm, I believe WDFW said there is no in-season runsize update. Can't help but wonder if the tribes have their own in-season update and told WDFW to close the recreational fishing season early. Just cuz. They can. And WDFW obeys.

I'm not saying that the runs are healthy by any means. It's just that WDFW's actions often don't match their proclamations. And we pay them for it.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Hmmm, I believe WDFW said there is no in-season runsize update. Can't help but wonder if the tribes have their own in-season update and told WDFW to close the recreational fishing season early. Just cuz. They can. And WDFW obeys.

I'm not saying that the runs are healthy by any means. It's just that WDFW's actions often don't match their proclamations. And we pay them for it.
Yes, that's my understanding - the closure was based on information provided by tribal netters. WDFW also cited creeling reports but that data is shit and talking about it is just them looking for something to point at other than their own judgement so they can dodge future accountability (my perhaps overly cynical interpretation).

I'd feel better about the whole thing if they'd just be honest and say "we have no good data but in our judgement the risks outweigh the benefit so we're going to close. Here's what we're going to do going forward to improve our ability to make objective, data-driven decisions... (followed by something meaningful)". Not holding my breath on that one.

I've also heard that springer netting on the Quilleute starts in April but haven't corroborated. Go figure...

Divad

Whitefish
The problem isn't the impact the sports put on the fishery so making people pay more won't improve the situation.
I’m not trying to say it is. Not trying to fix the situation either, if you ask me you get rid of netting period. It’s a double dipping culture at this point.

But the goal is to offer a program when it could otherwise be closed. I think that is why I like the raffle idea I was mentioning. It gives a limited number, controlled for the state. Shit it’s better than not fishing at all for the sake of the money lost.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m not trying to say it is. Not trying to fix the situation either, if you ask me you get rid of netting period. It’s a double dipping culture at this point.

But the goal is to offer a program when it could otherwise be closed. I think that is why I like the raffle idea I was mentioning. It gives a limited number, controlled for the state. Shit it’s better than not fishing at all for the sake of the money lost.
Among WDFW's constituents (meaning the ones who pay the freight to keep the lights on and doors open at WDFW) a majority seem to prefer an "all or nothing" approach. That is, if a body of water cannot be open to everyone under the "least common denominator" regulations, then they would prefer it be closed to all. They don't like special rules that, in their view, allows special interests (especially elitist fly fishing pricks) to fish while they can't fish using bait, barbs, motor boats, kill limits, and so forth. You know, the great all-American way of having it all until we can't have it any more for any one.

Divad

Whitefish
Among WDFW's constituents (meaning the ones who pay the freight to keep the lights on and doors open at WDFW) a majority seem to prefer an "all or nothing" approach. That is, if a body of water cannot be open to everyone under the "least common denominator" regulations, then they would prefer it be closed to all. They don't like special rules that, in their view, allows special interests (especially elitist fly fishing pricks) to fish while they can't fish using bait, barbs, motor boats, kill limits, and so forth. You know, the great all-American way of having it all until we can't have it any more for any one.
Fair and I see your poont to the all or nothing mentality, be it this may become a longer term deal I do hope people get creative. The hunting community *insert relevant fact* has adopted a raffle program, at times on more limited populations too.

What I find abstract is on one hand you have wa promoting the fishery abroad, building a market to support and then pooping on it. I like raffles, cmon. Even better it’d mean considerably less people on the water for your raffle day.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't think WDFW even sees the irony is promoting WA fishing at the very same time that the salmon and steelhead stocks are collapsing all around them. Would the term myopic apply here?

cruik

Just Hatched

It's unfortunate because I think coastal winter steelhead fishing, especially on the OP is ideally suited to a limited-entry fishery. The truth is it's a destination fishery. We're all just in denial about it.

I think including gas, gear, and lodging on a yearly basis, licensing probably amounts to under 2% of my fishing expenditures. I bet others are similar. And some of us bitch out of one side of our mouth about licensing increases while we bitch out of the other side when a tiny number of local, guiding, and commercial interests are in the driver's seat with respect to policy.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
is ideally suited to a limited-entry fishery
". . . ideallly suited . . ." is a subjective term. Depends who you ask. There are a lot of ways that steelhead fishing could be sustainably managed under current conditions. Some of those alternatives would yield more revenue to WDFW even. Like all bureaucratic agencies, WDFW prefers functioning under the physical law of inertia in motion and keep doing the same thing that they have been doing, regardless of how much sense it makes or if it makes any sense at all. Remember, making a decision is the most dangerous thing any bureaucrat can do. Make a decision, good or bad, and someone will not like it. Keep on doing what you've been doing and there may be some grumbling, but it won't foment a revolt.

I think the time has come that WDFW should consider managing WA steelhead fishing along the lines of the ZEK managed salmon fisheries of Quebec, CA. They offer salmon fishing on run sizes that range from very small to quite large, some kill fisheries, some limited kill fisheries, and some no-kill fisheries. They are all limited entry. You can enter a lottery draw for certain beats on certain rivers in January (fishing season begins in June), and you can buy daily beat tickets for some rivers beginning on the day you plan to fish. Lots of options. Of course most of the best beats at prime times go through the lottery draw. And there are always beats reserved for private fishing lodges. The thing is, there is always a place to go salmon fishing. And the prices can range from around $50 a day to over $1,000 a day. But doing something like that would require legislative changes and bureaucratic decisions of the kind that are in very short supply.

Divad

Whitefish
". . . ideallly suited . . ." is a subjective term. Depends who you ask. There are a lot of ways that steelhead fishing could be sustainably managed under current conditions. Some of those alternatives would yield more revenue to WDFW even. Like all bureaucratic agencies, WDFW prefers functioning under the physical law of inertia in motion and keep doing the same thing that they have been doing, regardless of how much sense it makes or if it makes any sense at all. Remember, making a decision is the most dangerous thing any bureaucrat can do. Make a decision, good or bad, and someone will not like it. Keep on doing what you've been doing and there may be some grumbling, but it won't foment a revolt.

I think the time has come that WDFW should consider managing WA steelhead fishing along the lines of the ZEK managed salmon fisheries of Quebec, CA. They offer salmon fishing on run sizes that range from very small to quite large, some kill fisheries, some limited kill fisheries, and some no-kill fisheries. They are all limited entry. You can enter a lottery draw for certain beats on certain rivers in January (fishing season begins in June), and you can buy daily beat tickets for some rivers beginning on the day you plan to fish. Lots of options. Of course most of the best beats at prime times go through the lottery draw. And there are always beats reserved for private fishing lodges. The thing is, there is always a place to go salmon fishing. And the prices can range from around $50 a day to over $1,000 a day. But doing something like that would require legislative changes and bureaucratic decisions of the kind that are in very short supply.

Your second paragraph is basically what I mentioned in my first post, of which you bashed. C'mon man.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Your second paragraph is basically what I mentioned in my first post, of which you bashed. C'mon man.
I don't mean that your idea is bad. Only that WDFW is unable or unwilling to change its MO. Change is hard. Change requires making a decision. Making decisions is the most dangerous thing a bureaucrat can do.