Clackacraft LP or WF question(s)

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have been looking on and off at upgrading from our 1982 Clack high side (back when there was only one style). Curently I am back on the search again. I have been looking at a very well taken care of WF and am leaning towards that, but wanted to see people's thoughts on the WF vs the LP. My main concern is wind. We use it double duty as a lake fishing boat and rivers. It will be used to fish/float the Yakima, Sauk, Skykomish, and maybe Deschutes (my cousin just moved to Bend and seems like a good excuse to hangout there more). Mainly fair weather, we are not into steelhead or winter fishing. I just find floating relaxing as well. Trying to weigh my positives and negatives on them. Seems like a toss-up really.

WF:
  • The WF offers a bit more side protection and might keep my dog in better - Positive
  • Great condition, and well taken care of - Positive
  • Inside of my price range - positive
  • Painted trailer - Possible negative in PNW
LP:
  • Better in the wind - Positive
  • The LP would be easier for getting in and out of - Positive
  • Galvanized Trailer - Positive
  • Former guide boat (more wear) - Negative
  • $1000 more than my price range (its flexible, but would like to spend less if possible, wouldn't we all) - Negative

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
On the Deschutes, I wouldn’t be without my old school high side boat. They started making that model again a few years ago. Most of the craft that I see on that river are WF models. I would not recommend a LP on that river in any of the sections with bigger rapids. The LP would be perfect for the Yakima. The higher side boats do catch more wind.

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
On the Deschutes, I wouldn’t be without my old school high side boat. They started making that model again a few years ago. Most of the craft that I see on that river are WF models. I would not recommend a LP on that river in any of the sections with bigger rapids. The LP would be perfect for the Yakima. The higher side boats do catch more wind.

Thats what I was thinking as well. The LP has a few perks (the wind and ease of access), but the WF seems to outweigh it in the benefits. Thanks again for all the advice on the boat search!

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
It can be super easy to overcomplicate a drift boat purchase when you get into the details of what makes this model better than this one for certain applications it gets messy. Some of the benefits of a more specialized drift boat won’t ever be realized by a casual angler who will use it only a dozen times a year and that’s just the facts. A WF clack is a really great all around boat and will serve you well wherever you take it. The LP will do slightly better in the wind and be only slightly easier to get in and out of, but will require better oarsmanship in heavier water. If you are sharp on the sticks and that won’t limit your floating options then it’s fine to have the lower side. To me I think it would be better to have a boat that can take you more places vs one that does slightly better in one or two scenarios. If you’re getting a yak only boat I’d think differently. But what you describe to me is needing an all arounder that will be comfortable doing a little bit of everything and the WF is a flat out great boat for that.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Or something in between like the Big Eddy!

EB590

Steelhead
I have an 01 (or maybe it's 04 I can't remember) WF. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's beat to shit I should take care of it better. I never took it to a lake and I don't think I'd want to.

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well exciting news, I followed everyone's advice and picked up a 2007 WF. Super happy about the upgrade. Its a boat with some nice Northwest history and well taken care of as well. (also don't worry, I've got a pyramid anchor for it)

Now I just need a few odds and ends to complete it. If anyone has the following please let me know:
  • tan Clackacraft seat cushion top and bottom (I have a mint grey one to trade)
  • motor mount
  • gunnel mount pyramid anchor caddy

1711243644170.png

1711243660278.png

Last edited:

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
Well exciting news, I followed everyone's advice and picked up a 2007 WF. Super happy about the upgrade. Its a boat with some nice Northwest history and well taken care of as well. (also don't worry, I've got a pyramid anchor for it)

Now I just need a few odds and ends to complete it. If anyone has the following please let me know:
  • tan Clackacraft seat cushion top and bottom (I have a mint grey one to trade)
  • motor mount
  • gunnel mount pyramid anchor caddy

View attachment 107931

View attachment 107932

Wow, is that a new trailer, or is the whole package that minty???

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice! Trailer looks similar to mine but with upgraded side platforms (whatever they’re called). If that rowing seat has a drain hole, I would hang onto it. The new ones don’t.