Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As we approach another holiday and gathering with family and friends, I thought since it was a "discussion" at our home I would stir it up here as well.

This isn't as hard as "points up or down"...

So let's get this ball rolling...
So, what are the Seeger’s having since you started this discussion? Interesting to see what others are cooking.

Divad

Whitefish
Our family makes a traditional German dinner of sauerbraten, kartoffel pfannkuchen (potato pancakes), and red cabbage. The tradition started with my grandmother and continues on. My mom was an excellent cook and made many great Christmas memories. She is retired from cooking now. These days, I’m in charge of it and make the potato pancakes ahead of time. They freeze well. My wife is of Italian heritage and she makes excellent biscotti. This year, we are joining our son in San Diego as he prepares for his next deployment with the Navy. Looking forward to some nice weather, although it will be raining for the first part of our trip. No idea what we will do for Christmas dinner this year.
My family has the same tradition also started by my German grandparents! Now my mom continues it. We call them potato latkes, they look to be the same thing. Served with homemade applesauce and usually a roast or brisket as the protein.

I say you go with the latkes in San Diego for your son, keep the tradition going.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My family has the same tradition also started by my German grandparents! Now my mom continues it. We call them potato latkes, they look to be the same thing. Served with homemade applesauce and usually a roast or brisket as the protein.

I say you go with the latkes in San Diego for your son, keep the tradition going.
Our son doesn’t have much of a kitchen down there. We’ll probably go out somewhere.

Dragon Mo

Keep Calm - Drink More Whisky
Forum Supporter
Hate Turkey, love ham, love clams more.. this year I believe my wife has planned prime rib.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So, what are the Seeger’s having since you started this discussion? Interesting to see what others are cooking.
The Seeger's will have just turkey this Christmas (a full turkey dinner would be my death row meal). My mother was allergic to pork so we mostly had turkey or beef. I helped in my uncles farm a few times and really grew to hate pigs (especially processing and seeing what they ate). And I have told my wife she (she loves pork) any time she wants, I will just fix a turkey for myself. When we had all 4 boys at home and all the family came to our house we usually had turkey and ham or beef, just to go around.

But @Eastside I would take your families traditional German dinner all the time! Every year in Leavenworth fire Oktoberfest we go to King Ludwigs so I can have sauerbraten, kartoffel pfannkuchen (potato pancakes), and red cabbage... I love it!

flybill

Life of the Party
Our tradition, although for Christmas Eve is Chinese food.. started in 1982 or 1983 when we asked Stella, my grandmother on my dad's side what she wanted.. Chinese food was her answer and it's been that way all of my life!

I'm having steak and having a friend come over to dinner.. or whatever she wants for Christmas dinner!! Sushi might be my answer.. or I'll pick up some small lobster tails to go with the steak.. and lots of whiskey!! 😆

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
Strictly fish here in Central Italy, from the starter to the pasta to the main and all else in between.

My duty over the last 15 years has been to choose, behead, cut up, and roast to perfection, an eel, rigorously live before prep, usually between 3-4 lbs, bigger if I can find one, which is rare, sadly.

Merry Christmas all,
Kenneth

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For decades it had been bbq country pork style ribs on Xmas Eve followed by Ham Xmas day. But now that some family members are no longer with us or unable to attend this will be the first year of beef tenderloin roast, wild sockeye salmon for the non beef eaters and will start with Dungeness crab cakes (probably get cakes at Town and Country, Shoreline) for Xmas eve and Xmas day will be brunch all day with frittata, quiche, Hawaiian ham/cheese sliders, assorted fruits, strawberry-rhubarb cobbler, blueberry buckle cake, etc. an all day feast wearing sweat pants. 😉

Oh and homemade eggnog lattes !!!