Cheap-ass winter stick. TFO Pro II, 11'6" 7/8. Question...

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Ok, so I grabbed one of these for really cheap while I was at the fly tying expo in Albany early March. Really for the one or two times a winter I fish rivers/runs large enough I can't effectively fish with my SH swinging setups. It's got a rather large grain window according to the charts, but if anyone has played around with this rod, what Skagit lines and tips have you preferred?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
eh, I got the gist of it...500-600 just seems like a HUGE window.

I literally just checked to see if the grain window was listed ON the rod, it is....450-650!

Anyway, I really don't want to end up experimenting with a bunch of different skagit heads for a rod that's gonna get used once or twice a winter...probably look for something in the 550 range unless anyone else has used it and has strong preferences/thoughts on the rods power itself.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

I literally just checked to see if the grain window was listed ON the rod, it is....450-650!

Anyway, I really don't want to end up experimenting with a bunch of different skagit heads for a rod that's gonna get used once or twice a winter...probably look for something in the 550 range unless anyone else has used it and has strong preferences/thoughts on the rods power itself.
I know nothing about that rod. But typical rule of thumb for grain windows: heavy end of it for Skagits, lower end of it for Scandi.

But I'd have a real hard time believing an 11'6" 7/8 would want anything more than something in the low 500s

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

650 on a 7/8 weight seems over the top. I have 3 lines that might fit that rod you can try for free if you cover the postage, want to drive to Roseburg, buy me a beer or some combination.

2 skagits at 525/22' and 575/24' and a Rage at ~520/28'. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
No way that rod takes 600gr or more grains.

I’d try 425/450 OPST commando and around 480/510 for a more standard skagit head.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

500 dude I'm telling ya. I have a 510 Skagit fist you can bum.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I know nothing about that rod. But typical rule of thumb for grain windows: heavy end of it for Skagits, lower end of it for Scandi.

But I'd have a real hard time believing an 11'6" 7/8 would want anything more than something in the low 500s
yeah, that's why I'm so confused!
500 dude I'm telling ya. I have a 510 Skagit fist you can bum.
:unsure: I may just have to take you up on that....next December!

650 on a 7/8 weight seems over the top. I have 3 lines that might fit that rod you can try for free if you cover the postage, want to drive to Roseburg, buy me a beer or some combination.

2 skagits at 525/22' and 575/24' and a Rage at ~520/28'. PM me if you're interested.
hmmm, I may be able to get down there at some point during the summer...TBD. I don't REALLY need to know until next winter.

Last edited:

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I have the TFO Pro II 11' 6/7wt and it likes an Airflo Scout 420gr and T10 tips. A typical jump for the 7/8wt would be to the 480 to 510gr range for shorter Skagit heads. Which is a long way of saying that DanielOcean's guess is probably right on! ;)

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have gotten in to this switch rod thing and I’m still learning…. Spent a few $ on a couple lines searching. Thank god Avid Angler has loaner lines to test. Narrowed it down to a couple for me. Many variables with switch rods and the lengths also add a bit of calculation. 11’ not same as a 11’9” etc. I’m tossing a 7110-4 Z axis. Wound up with a 450 AirFlo Compact. Still experimenting but when I hit it it sends the line a ways. I just really like the ease of casting the switch. It’s easy on the shoulders and relaxing in a way. Swinging 😉 I’m wanting to get back to steelheading more even tho numbers don’t support that fishery. Just something attractive to me about it. I think it’s the area/environment that I like in searching for steelhead. You get out there in nowhere sometimes. 💕

skyrise

Steelhead
Can you go to a nearby fly shop and see if they have any fly lines you can try out ? Don’t most good fly shops have test lines for customers to try ?