Central Oregon Cascade Lake

We all know which one it was. But it was still a killer day. Took my first guided trip out on the lake last Saturday. Fishing was a bit slower than it historically is on this lake (at least from what people say) but I still connected on 5 of the biggest rainbows I've landed on a fly rod.

5wt rods, double and triple nymph dropper rigs and about 50-60ft casts was the recipe to conjur up a magical day of fishing this beautiful Cascade lake.

Smallest fish was 16-17" and they all had some mass to them.

image4.jpegimage3.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

R

RyRy82

Nice work. Saw you guys out there next to the beaver hut. My boat is in the background of the last picture. We managed a few, but you are right, slower than normal. Did you hook any of the Kokanee swimming around you? We caught fish on balance leeches and red chironomids. What was the guides hot fly?

Nice work. Saw you guys out there next to the beaver hut. My boat is in the background of the last picture. We managed a few, but you are right, slower than normal. Did you hook any of the Kokanee swimming around you? We caught fish on balance leeches and red chironomids. What was the guides hot fly?
No kokanee, but they were pretty beautiful with their spawning colors on. We came across a big ball of them in a redd out in that channel. Pretty cool to see

R

RyRy82

Agreed. Beautiful and large. We targeting them either. Im thinking those big bows following them around will start keying in on eggs soon.

Agreed. Beautiful and large. We targeting them either. Im thinking those big bows following them around will start keying in on eggs soon.
Pretty likely, they're schooling up for spawning season, and the bows were already stalking them everywhere waiting for the eggs.