Non-Fly Centerpin Thread

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was one of the guys who mentioned CP fishing. Looking forward to see how this thread develops. Is CP only for floating things to salmon steelhead or is there a way to target other species like bass or in the surf?
Bass, carp, ling cod, rock fish; I think you could target pretty much anything you can think of.

You can target any thing with the centerpin but it excels at trotting in rivers and streams. Meaning float fishing with bait or artificial in current. Kind of like the euro equivalent of indicator nymphing, to put it in fly fishing terms.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
You can target any thing with the centerpin but it excels at trotting in rivers and streams. Meaning float fishing with bait or artificial in current. Kind of like the euro equivalent of indicator nymphing, to put it in fly fishing terms.
This right here. It's a rod, reel, and line. You can technically do anything with it, but there is one thing it's very good at, and that's a drag-free drift with a float (bobber) setup. It would be of no advantage, nor would it likely even be enjoyable, in most other applications compared to rods that were designed for those applications.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Before the invention of the spinning reel, your options were baitcaster, fly rod, or centerpin reel. I bet a major reason for the silex/other centerpin reels falling out of favor besides price is the slow retrieval rate.

This guy throws spoons on a centerpin rig up on Vancouver Island.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Do folks target trout and smaller gamefish on pins still? I remember fishing a bead while the pinks were spawning and hooking up on white fish after whitefish targeting coho, I always wanted to try it again with lighter gear

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
This was my first pin setup. 8# Maxima, #8 Eagleclaw baitholder with a crawler, couple of crimp on shot, red and white clip on float. Turn the clicker off and it spins wonderfully. Flick it out and let it run downstream. I tried the modern gear, but I lack a certain dexterity and coordination, and I think other tactics work better for the waters around here.20231207_102717.jpg

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
When I first began steelhead fishing, I ran into a couple old timers who fished with Heddon Winona reels. They are a type of centerpin I guess, but not as fancy as newer designs. They run on either a bronze or stainless steel bushing and don't have ball bearings. I saw a couple at a yard sale years ago and bought them on a whim. I thought I would disassemble and clean them, then oil them up and try to learn to cast with them. They're still in a box out in the garage. Maybe this winter.

Russell

Steelhead
Do folks target trout and smaller gamefish on pins still? I remember fishing a bead while the pinks were spawning and hooking up on white fish after whitefish targeting coho, I always wanted to try it again with lighter gear
I have been mostly using my centerpin setup for Shad in the spring. Lots of action and a helps you get proficient in casting and fighting fish on a CP reel. Just picked up a 12'6" UL spinning rod to use with my CP that is quite a bit lighter in action than the Steelhead/salmon rods I have. I am able to cast quite a bit lighter gear with it and have started to target trout.
Originally bought the Centerpin setup for steelhead. I really do not enjoy nymphing, but I still allways fall back to swinging flies while the CP rig sits.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I have been mostly using my centerpin setup for Shad in the spring. Lots of action and a helps you get proficient in casting and fighting fish on a CP reel. Just picked up a 12'6" UL spinning rod to use with my CP that is quite a bit lighter in action than the Steelhead/salmon rods I have. I am able to cast quite a bit lighter gear with it and have started to target trout.
Originally bought the Centerpin setup for steelhead. I really do not enjoy nymphing, but I still allways fall back to swinging flies while the CP rig sits.
what rod did you get?

Definitely, I have built a rod on a 10’ 5wt blank that I use to bead fish for trout and char. Also I have a few small 3.5” to 4” reels both bearing and bushing that get put on the rod. It’s a joy to use and In situations it is definitely more effective than fly fishing an indicator rig.

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Definitely, I have built a rod on a 10’ 5wt blank that I use to bead fish for trout and char. Also I have a few small 3.5” to 4” reels both bearing and bushing that get put on the rod. It’s a joy to use and In situations it is definitely more effective than fly fishing an indicator rig.
I’m interested in building a pin rod like the one you described but don’t really know where to start. Can you recommend a good source of information about the build process?

YouTube is your friend. Lots of info there, some shops like mudhole have plenty of instruction videos. Also I’ve seen shops that put on rod building classes occasionally. Then also scope out your area for a friendly rod builder that is willing to show you a few things. A nice bottle of whiskey or a case of beer can work wonders.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
With flyrods we talk about action and speed fast to slow. We talk about rod weight for the target species. What are the required characteristics of a CP rod?

For fly fishing sometimes a nymph is the only game in town. US nymph fishing has really embraced the euro nymph method. I would think a CP set-up would be a superior nymph delivery system. What do you CP guys say?

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
CP is superior in length of drift and distance of cast, allowing you to cover more water. Otherwise I'm going with Euro, it's why I dropped using the bobber on the fly rod if I'm fishing closer in. Most stuff here is higher gradient than the great lakes, meaning if you can ditch the bobber, you'll get a better drift.

onefish

Steelhead
BC steelheader here. Been using centerpin reels for close to 50 years. They are at their best when used for float fishing. Level wind reels are just as good for float fishing but not as fun to use when fighting a fish. Spinning reels are not very useful for float fishing. Float fishing is a very effective way of presenting a variety of lures, bait, jigs in a precise way to exact locations and depths. Location matters when it comes to steelhead.
The major disadvantage of centerpin reels are slower retrieve rates. In a day of steelheading, more water covered generally = more fish.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
Spinning reels are not very useful for float fishing.

Why is that? It would seem on a spin rod you could do the same CP float system and cast into river open the bail and drift drag free like CP? I know CP uses a 11ft+ rod and they say they mend but in reality how can you mend 15lb mono? Flyline has mass and diameter and drags on the water you certainly can mend flyline. That's what we swinging steelheaders do but mend mono?