Caught in the middle…

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Probably posted this before on some other site 😉. But maybe more than 4+ years ago.

Does anyone find themselves caught in the middle. I have 10.5 feet. Find boot size 11’s very tight in waders and size 12 sloppy. For pants I’m probably 35” Find 34” a tad tight/short
yet 36” to much.
Way to loose. I’m 33” leg but 30-32 in seam to short many times and 32-34’ to long. Need 31-33”. 😉

Basically I’m 73.5” and 200lbs. I’m stuck in The middle of many things but
Usually opt for XL. Shoe size is frustrating for wading boots.

It’s the boots that bother me the most. Lots of walking I wear the 11’s. They do get a tad more comfortable after walking some. The 12’s feel better at first and liked for minimal movement but after a few hours start to rub on my upper foot/ankle. I know brands styles, and sizes fluctuate some.

For this purpose what about boots? Is their accommodation friendly brand. Been a simms guy for last 30 or so.

Like a big toe box … easy in and out is becoming a must as I age. Didn’t care before but being a hair fatigued and fighting to get boots off is not
My thing at the end of a 11 hour drift trip. 😂

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
You are not alone. I'm an 1-1/2" shorter (shrinkage, lol) & 10# heavier (no shrinkage :(). Same foot size & issues, 38" waist & need 33" long pants - 32" too short & 34" too long.

On the plus side, I don't care how clothes & boots/shoes look as long as they are comfortable.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I wear a 42 coat at #155, mediums are too small and larges to big. Pants got to be 33x33. Regulars are too short, talls are too long, shirts, waders, everything. Narrow heel, wide toe box. Always seem to be between sizes.

Last edited:

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I’m built rather odd so clothes can be a pain. Back when I wore fitted shirts and a suit 15 1/2 and 32 sleeves fit great. Now mostly flannels and depending on brand some good others not. Duluth trading are baggy as are Carhart. Anything Orvis the sleeves are for orangutans. I’ve got jeans locked in, Wranglers regular fit, W34 L32. Hats 7 1/2 or 60, but most ball caps are too small for my fat head. Shoes a solid 8.5. Most Simms wear fits me well, thankfully.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I also feel the frustration
  • 11.5 Brannock & scanned
  • EE scanned
  • 4E Brannock
All of my current shoes are 12-12.5 depending on toebox shape. I now buy anatomically correct shoes (think clown shoe toebox) whenever possible.
The 12’s feel better at first and liked for minimal movement but after a few hours start to rub on my upper foot/ankle. I know brands styles, and sizes fluctuate some.

I tried a pair of wading boots with Boa laces for awhile that worked flawlessly for an evenly distributed tightness but did not allow for a modified lacing pattern to lock my heel in. When walking on cobble for hours my toes would jam into the toebox when my heel was elevated over the toes even though the boots were laced painfully tight. It damaged one big toenail so badly it came off.

What I learned for getting enough toe room but a comfortable yet snug, stable, supportive fit that prevented heel blisters in mountaineering boots which typically do not have an anatomically correct toebox, and have now carried over into wading boots is:
  • One half to one size up
  • Experimenting with sock thicknesses and using a light "liner" sock
  • Look for boots with a lacing pattern or some other design feature that locks the heel into the heel cup
  • Lacing tight to just over the instep, then tying a no-slip double overhand knot
  • Lacing looser but still snugly to the top for flexibility and comfort.
BTW
35X32 trousers
LG-Long/Tall in any shirt that will shrink; long-waisted, slightly long arms
:(

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I too am a 'tweener with some mediums being way too small and some larges being way too big.

Or at least I was until last week!:oops: Freestone Sue spent the week on the frozen tundra with me and it was a good-news, bad-news deal.

The good news? That woman is a helluva good cook!

The bad news? That woman is a helluva good cook!

I put on a solid 5# in just 6 days! I weigh more than I have in decades and it shows. Before she left I fixed a major breakfast of 5 eggs scrambled with buttermilk, we split a package of hashbrowns fried in butter that were supposed to feed 7 and each had 4 pieces of thick cut bacon-the good stuff. In addition to coffee we had big slabs of fresh baked bread slathered in butter and orange marmalade. I didn't get hungry again until about 4 o'clock.

Now it is time to get serious about getting back to 'tweener size again...

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Im a 10.5 wide and like you find it hard to find boots that are just right....Patagonias in 12 were to big, Simms in 11 were too small now i'm wearing Korkers and so far they fit about right..

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I had a few hard lessons about wearing boots that needed to be several sizes too large just so that I could get the width that I needed. They were like clown shoes. I never really learned to compensate for the extra length, costing me more than one stepped-on rod.

Don't make the same mistake: If one brand doesn't give you the right fit, try a different brand. After years of only Orvis boots I tried a pair of Korkers. They fit quite well and are much more comfortable to walk in. The felt soles are great on the greased bowling balls they call river rocks (although terrible on dry grass or moss). They're also on a par with Orvis when it comes to customer care!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Korkers. They fit quite well and are much more comfortable to walk in. The felt soles are great on the greased bowling balls they call river rocks (although terrible on dry grass or moss).
Or snowy slopes. I like Korkers fit so well I just got another pair of Redsides. I have a pair of Orvis Boas, they are not as comfortable. A hair smaller and faster drying, just super handy for a few hours during summer wet wading season.

Last edited: