carp spawn

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Seems to be rocking right now around Potholes. Beware because it can mess up the little bass ponds quickly. Generally I head to rocky lakes and bigger water during this time.

Billy

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Seems to be rocking right now around Potholes. Beware because it can mess up the little bass ponds quickly. Generally I head to rocky lakes and bigger water during this time.

Billy
I've seen a ton of carp in the rocky lakes, too. I feel like last year around now I saw them hanging around the entire perimeter of a couple bigger, deep lakes, but I wasn't seeing spawning behavior.
Any idea what they do this time of year? Just take their spawn to deeper water?

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Any idea what they do this time of year? Just take their spawn to deeper water?
Around here they typically spawn in submerged reeds.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
@Engee and I looked at a big flat yesterday, it was still boiling with actively spawning carp. We decided to skip the mud and headed to our usual flat which is predominately sand/gravel and solid basalt (the latter not usually productive). We didn't see any indication carp were spawning on the flat we waded but we also struggled to find any fish actively rooting around. In fact - we found very little evidence of feeding (very little disturbed bottom sediment - rooters weren't rooting). It seemed most of the fish were in water just a tad too deep to wade; I don't like wading for carp past mid-thigh.

Late in the afternoon we found carp, lots of them, in shallow water. They were not feeding, just sort of milling about: definately not spawning. We both changed flies several times: nothing but refusal after refursal. I told Randy I thought perhaps these fish had just finished spawning and were swimming about in the afterglow of broadcast spawn. Randy countered with his belief that carp are hungry and feeding post spawn. At any rate, it appears carp spawn is close to being overwith this year.

Carp by-catch, by golly!:DSCF2594.JPG
By-catch?