Carp Query

jeffj

Old guy, still fishing
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have a theory on why carp follow your tube when you're just kicking along from place to place? I've caught a few by plopping a fly into the crowd but it's not anything to count on.
JJP6160083.JPG

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Farts must be getting out through the hole in your waders

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Never seen it happen....total shot in the dark wild ass guess:
Maybe they think your fins are doing them a favor?
Maybe they are sensing the disturbance in the water your fins are creating and are attracted to it. Thinking you might kick up some dinner off the bottom for them.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I always figured my fins were stirring-up food.

Does anyone have a theory on why carp follow your tube when you're just kicking along from place to place? I've caught a few by plopping a fly into the crowd but it's not anything to count on.
JJView attachment 4041
The “San Juan Shuffle” was banned from the river because flyfishers were kicking up worms to chum in downstream trout to their flies. Permit follow sting rays as they swim across the flats kicking up small crabs and shrimp. I have had schools of bonefish follow me as I’ve waded. It follows that bottom feeding carp would follow your tube as you kick up mud and silt.
Leland.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Yeah... except they also follow my kayaks, both paddle and pedal. I've had them turn and come at me from 15 ft away, and I've had them (sometimes a school of them) get directly underneath me and circle in deep water.

I find it unnerving, and I've never gotten them to eat anything when they're doing that!

Replicant

Steelhead
I often wonder if carp can see very well. They tend to be fearless, until they realize you are there. On more than one occasion, I've had carp brush up against my leg, while I'm struggling to toss a bug in front of one, under an overhang. It's kind of creepy, when you are wet-wading.