Canned corned beef hash-expensive dog food?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last year I was looking for some easy food to prepare on fishing trips and stumbled across this stuff. I read all I could about it and then bought 3 brands to try out-Libby's, Hormel and Great Value. I fried each one until it was a little crisp and added fried eggs then hoped for the best. If you hope in one hand and fill the other hand with corned beef hash you will have a hand that your dog wants to lick. I rarely eat canned foods of any kind and trying this stuff reinforced that decision.

So what did I do wrong? Is there some trick to making the hash as good as some people swear that it is, is there something that I should add to enhance the flavor? Or is this just a treat that preppers sometimes feed their dogs once they sample it themselves?

I await your most astute opinions

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Last year I was looking for some easy food to prepare on fishing trips and stumbled across this stuff. I read all I could about it and then bought 3 brands to try out-Libby's, Hormel and Great Value. I fried each one until it was a little crisp and added fried eggs then hoped for the best. If you hope in one hand and fill the other hand with corned beef hash you will have a hand that your dog wants to lick. I rarely eat canned foods of any kind and trying this stuff reinforced that decision.

So what did I do wrong? Is there some trick to making the hash as good as some people swear that it is, is there something that I should add to enhance the flavor? Or is this just a treat that preppers sometimes feed their dogs once they sample it themselves?

I never order it in a restaurant unless they make it there. You can make a pretty killer version at home with leftover corned beef and baked potatoes. I've eaten a few cans of the stuff, back in my Dinty More days, but I agree, it isn't very good

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
+tons of ketchup. I had a can actually a few weeks back testing it for trips as well. Cannot recall brand.

That stuff is so greasy and pasty that you might need a jug of Roto-Rooter to chug afterwards.

Grandma's old farm hash recipe was superb - as were her round fig cookies and a hundred other genuine culinary treasures. Leftover roasts were turned into incredible table fare.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

It will taste much better if you are at the edge of starvation.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

A personal thanks for having the courage to be the team Guinea Pig.:ROFLMAO:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I dunno about canned corned beef but fried spam masubi is heaven on earth.

I like bacon Spam fried crispy with an easy over fried egg on top.
Put it on a toasted English muffin with cheese and a slice of onion, tomato and green pepper is another go to at my place for breakfast.
SF

Triggw

Steelhead
Hash and eggs is a camping breakfast staple for me. First, skip "Great Value," and buy the good (well, better) stuff. For one person, put half the can in a skillet and spread evenly edge to edge. Let it cook through thoroughly, but not dry out. Then break two eggs on top and cover. Watch carefully. The second the last of the egg white turns white, scoop onto a plate, Tabasco to taste, and eat. You want the yolks to still be runny. Hearty, good, and easy cleanup in a non-stick skillet.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I am in no way endorsing canned hash, but in my experience it can be rendered edible by taking off the kid gloves and frying the hell out of it. Caramelization and crispiness can cover up a lack of flavor...a few over-easy eggs replete with runny goodness don't hurt either.
Yeah, it is improved by making it REALLY crispy!

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Agree with Salmo_G - learned to fry potatos and onions from and native guide up in Ontario when dad and I were enjoying shorelunch with fresh fried Walleye on an island on Eagle Lake in Ontario. Canned white potatos and sliced onions. Fry like crazy until the onions are carmelized, add eggs and whatever veggies you have and you're good to go. Add crispy Walleye fillets and you have a lunch I still dream about. Really miss those island lunches in the north woods!

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
My mother grew up relatively poor, and she wasn't much of a cook. It was always a treat when she made me a hot breakfast of canned corn beef. She would fry it up with green pepper and onion with some finely diced potatoes. Then drop a couple of eggs in some wells she formed in the hash. Definitely not as good as scratch made, but it was made with love. What I wouldn't give to share some of it with her now.😥

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Uhm, you bought canned corn beef hash.

Bring some baked potato (cubed) from home. Heat in skillet, add diced ham, eggs, green onion or green pepper or somethin'. It'll be good and probably a whole lot better for ya'.

I always have a onion, green pepper and tomato on hand..........
If required to make a choice, I'd give up the other two before ever giving up the onion.
SF

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hmm, I LOVE corned beef canned or not, and cook it until crisp and eat with my bacon and eggs.