Camping Gear Recommendation Thread

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
A Jet Boil and a metal french press...always with me in the truck for every camp trip. In the wintertime, even when not camping, the Jet Boil is in the truck (along with a sleeping bag) at all times...never know when you need to melt snow for drinking water...

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
IMG_2766.jpeg
So…this is complete overkill and pricey, but I love it. Holds 3.5 gals of water, has a rechargeable usb pump and immersion heater for warm/hot water. The hose head shown here has a motion sensor…just put your dirty hands under it and it delivers water, turns off automatically when done. I also have the hand held spray attachment that lets you take a shower…I now use it to rinse off my wading boots before putting them into the truck…

Skook

Freshly Spawned
I'm not set up to post pics, so I will link to a website. If it's not appropriate, please remove. The "Just A Guy Making Things Easier" (JAGMTE) ball valve pressure kit is pretty slick for water storage (water can must be purchased separately - I got mine on sale at Lowe's). The custom cap incorporates an air valve to pressurize a military-style water can to 10-15 psi using a compressor or bicycle pump. A short hose with sprayer can be connected to the faucet, or just use the faucet without a hose. I pressurized mine to 15 psi using a bicycle pump with little effort, and no electricity is required to have "running water."

I haven't used it extensively to see how it holds up over time, but it works as advertised. Pressurizing the plastic water can is a "do it at your own risk" proposition, but I haven't heard of any real problems. I'm sure the kit can be DIY'd at a much lower cost.

JAGMTE Ball Valve Pressure Kit

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Skooks post above, reminded me of this. Not a tech guy so posted a You Tube LInk below to a simple, effective, inexpensive, efficient portable, solar shower for camp.

Not super mechanically inclined in most things either and I was able to do this. I spray painted the 3 gallon spray tank black for solar heating and it works incredibly well. If no sun, heat up water and add to tank.

Be safe.

Bob

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Does anyone know where I can get an "Australian Shower" ? That's the old school canvas shower bucket the Army used for what seems like a millennia

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Yep. That's generally what I want.
Usually when I search for it, I get tons of other results that aren't even close

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I need a new tent, my REI half dome needs some work.. new poles. I have a Kelty Sunshade and a starter hammock, so can get by for sure. I need good straps for the hammock though or a stand..

I want a lightweight backpacking 1 person tent. Small. Not too concerned about the actual price, but I want it to be easy to setup and take down, even if it's wet!

Thanks in advance!
Why not just get another half dome? That 2 pole design is just about the easiest setup and takedown tent available IMO. For my camping (which is car camping only these days), I actually use the Kelty 4 person version of that tent so I can fit my big old cot in there and other creature comforts. But even then, with the 2 pole design, it's just so damn quick. My half dome 2 just doesn't get used much any more (it's also on its last legs or I'd just send it to you).

Reactions: Zak

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You know there are 4 types of labs? Black, chocolate, yellow and meth. Mine is a yellow meth lab.
lol, I'm not sure how this will sound, but I've got both a yellow meth lab and a black meth (more of a crack cocaine, really...slightly less than meth--so I've heard)...

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
while tent camping, my family rinsed off daily with a coupla inexpensive Solar Showers (disclaimer, not my wife :)
1699501144533.png

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
I use my Luminaid under the front of my truck while camping to discourage rodents. So far so good. Factory literature says it illuminates up to 24 hours but I have found that on low it last even longer and on blink-which I usually use for critters-it has lasted for 56 hours on a single charge. On high it is bright enough to read with and with the built in solar panel I just put it on the dash of the truck during the day to keep it charged. Where was this 40 years ago when I was backpacking?
The Luminaid is currently on sale at REI:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I need a new tent, my REI half dome needs some work.. new poles. I have a Kelty Sunshade and a starter hammock, so can get by for sure. I need good straps for the hammock though or a stand..

I want a lightweight backpacking 1 person tent. Small. Not too concerned about the actual price, but I want it to be easy to setup and take down, even if it's wet!

Thanks in advance!
Coleman Pop-Up Camping Tent with Instant Setup, 2/4 Person Tent Sets Up in 10 Seconds with Pre-Assembled Poles, Adjustable Rainfly, & Taped Floor Seams https://a.co/d/4F59Rlk

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Orange Screw The Ultimate Bundle, Small 4 Pack Ground Anchors with Screwdriver 2.0, for Quick and Easy Installation https://a.co/d/1os7KB1

They also come in medium or large., twist tool included. Holds better than regular tent stakes.