Camping Gear Recommendation Thread

JayB

Steelhead
I'll start.

Easily the best bang-for-the-buck addition that I've added in the past few years has been the Coleman camp oven. It's basically just a collapsible sheet-metal box that sits on top of your camp stove with a door/thermometer and a rack to set things on.

I was dubious, but for the price $35 at the time (now ~$50), I figured it was worth taking a risk and it might be something that I'd be able to use to cook some novelty items with now and then - and it had thousands of very positive reviews on Amazon with all kinds of people coming forward with interesting testimonials about what they were able to cook.

In my case, what made me such a fan wasn't the ability to cook all kinds of exotic stuff in camp, it was the ability to quickly crank-out meals that my kids were into with essentially zero dishes courtesy of the Costco frozen section, like personal pizzas, burritos, etc - with a smattering of cookies, rolls, etc from Pillsbury. Between that and stuff I cook on the grill, I've been able to spend way less time cooking/cleaning when I'm out camping and more time doing everything else.

The only addition that I've made was a rectangular pizza-stone that I put on the bottom and use as a heat-sink/deflector most of the time when it's not serving its intended purpose as a...pizza stone.

Amazon product ASIN B0009PURJA

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
The big agnes sleeping bags with the sleeping pad sleeve is my absolute favorite camping item.
I used to wake up off the pad (cold) throughout the night, but since getting this bag have slept so damn good every single time. Just slide your pad into the sleeve and your bag and pad are all one coherent unit. This is the anvil horn 15, which is a great shoulder season bag.

1691441175455.png

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll start.

Easily the best bang-for-the-buck addition that I've added in the past few years has been the Coleman camp oven. It's basically just a collapsible sheet-metal box that sits on top of your camp stove with a door/thermometer and a rack to set things on.

I was dubious, but for the price $35 at the time (now ~$50), I figured it was worth taking a risk and it might be something that I'd be able to use to cook some novelty items with now and then - and it had thousands of very positive reviews on Amazon with all kinds of people coming forward with interesting testimonials about what they were able to cook.

In my case, what made me such a fan wasn't the ability to cook all kinds of exotic stuff in camp, it was the ability to quickly crank-out meals that my kids were into with essentially zero dishes courtesy of the Costco frozen section, like personal pizzas, burritos, etc - with a smattering of cookies, rolls, etc from Pillsbury. Between that and stuff I cook on the grill, I've been able to spend way less time cooking/cleaning when I'm out camping and more time doing everything else.

The only addition that I've made was a rectangular pizza-stone that I put on the bottom and use as a heat-sink/deflector most of the time when it's not serving its intended purpose as a...pizza stone.

The heat sink on the bottom is almost a necessity for even baking. Another thing that makes a world of difference-especially in cool weather-is the stove cozy made out of fireproof welding cloth. The thin metal of the stove will bleed heat fast in a cool breeze but the cozy insulates it on the sides, top and back making the bake faster without so much fuel use.

I have so much nice camping gear that it is hard to pick just one favorite but I think I'll put the Iwatani butane stove at the top of my list. After years of using Coleman white gas stoves and an Optimus 111B blower stove the one button ignition of the Iwatani is a blessing. I also use it as a forced air heater in the Casa with a USB fan behind it to blow the heat out instead of letting it go up against the ceiling. The ceiling of the Casa is covered in Reflectix which not only reflects the heat around but helps retain it. I use about 2X the recommended ventilation when using it inside.

USB fans have become a favorite also, valuable not only in warm weather but really helpful when it comes time to heat the inside, they distribute heat quickly and quietly. I recently bought one of the new generation models with a 20,000 mah battery, 3 speeds, remote control, a timer and a 2 level LED light. The battery can charge other devices ie, a phone or fan or notebook and will run the fan alone for almost 60 hours.

The compressor refrigerator has eliminated the need to fart around with messy and now expensive ice and the Jackery power unit that runs it last indefinitely while being charged by either the truck while driving or a solar panel when parked. It runs the fridge for 4 or 5 days without charging depending on the weather.

I have been backpacking, car camping or truck camping since 1961 and the equipment now is a far cry from the primitive gear I started with. An example, I have a near $100 flashlight with 4 levels of brightness that will run for days on a single USB charge and on high is as bright as an automotive headlight. It weighs 4.9 ounces and fits in a shirt pocket. At 85 camping is not as easy as it used to be but modern gear has insured that it is still pleasurable.

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter
FENIX 3000 lumen headlamp, Thermarest chair/sleeping pad.

Chadk

Life of the Party

Highly recommended. Just tried these for the first time on a backpacking trip. AMAZING. We tried several and the creamy pesto, fettuccini alfredo, and biscuits and gravy were huge hits.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I opted to bring this 3.5lb chair on a backpacking trip. Probably overkill, but on a trip that isn't too crazy and you aren't worried about every ounce - worth a little splurge for a comfy seat at camp. I bet they make even lighter weight ones somewhere. But this one is sturdy and super easy to setup.
Amazon product ASIN B07V6MR1R5

Last edited:

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter

Highly recommended. Just tried these for the first time on a backpacking trip. AMAZING. We tried several and the creamy pesto, fettuccini alfredo, and biscuits and gravy were huge hits.
Peak Refuel are high quality freeze died meals.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

Yeah, the biscuits and gravy is sooooo damn good. Always bring one with me.
Also love the chicken pesto pasta.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I'll start.

How cool is that! Guess I need to get out more cuz I had no idea such a contraption existed.

I’ve been learning how to use a cast iron dutch oven/camp stove in order to have the baking option while camping but that accessory appears to be easier to use and takes up less space.

whaddaya know

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
How cool is that! Guess I need to get out more cuz I had no idea such a contraption existed.

I’ve been learning how to use a cast iron dutch oven/camp stove in order to have the baking option while camping but that accessory appears to be easier to use and takes up less space.

whaddaya know
Mike,
I've had one of those camp ovens for at least 30 years maybe even 40.
They work great.

Reactions: M_D

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I'll start.

This is going to be a great thread.

Last edited: