C&R record steelhead

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
That’s some cast
Not really, 15 foot rod with a 60 foot head and 60 feet of mono running line. Actually pretty average.
Having said that, typically you have to wade so far out to have enough room for your D loop, and have to cast at an angle so far downstream in order to control your swing, that your fly may only be 70 feet from the bank when it starts to fish. Not my cup of tea. I like to wade less and use the length of my rod to control my swing.

Reactions: JS

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm no fan of taking pics of wild fish solo. Just too much Fing around. Add some more time to tape the damn thing, and needing to lay it on the rocks for taping and pic taking? Unethical in my opinion. I guess it is better than having to get it on a certified scale though.

As for the casting, far and fine is a solid technique that really works sometimes. With modern lines and rods its not all that hard, just needs some solid technique. I run a 15' leader, 15' rod and a 70 line with integrated running line. You are 100' without and pulls. It can be done in some fairly tight quarters too. If you are fishing the surface and want a nice slow swing you are casting a pretty steep angle anyway. Of course when that afternoon breeze picks up I'm always happy to pick up my compact scandi and start throwing running line!

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I quickly scanned that replay of the encounter the guy wrote. After the part about having 120 to 130 feet of floating line on the water and the "vintage Hardy Perfect" I knew all I needed to know. Somewhat surprised he didn't carefully select the hand tied fly out of a battered old Wheatley.
He probably posts on speypages.

My vote is for "not dead" at the time of photo.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I guarantee you every wild steelhead I've ever released is dead now.

Mine would likely be a ten salt…if still alive.
SF

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not really, 15 foot rod with a 60 foot head and 60 feet of mono running line. Actually pretty average.
Having said that, typically you have to wade so far out to have enough room for your D loop, and have to cast at an angle so far downstream in order to control your swing, that your fly may only be 70 feet from the bank when it starts to fish. Not my cup of tea. I like to wade less and use the length of my rod to control my swing.
More than I got 😎

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You need to fine tune your googling. Again. Nice try though.
I literally cut and pasted Kyriacos Panayiotou into google and a page of George Michael information was displayed. I know that the names aren't exactly the same but it's good enough for google.

Apparently, Kyriacos Panayiotou the flyfisherman does not have the pop culture clout to overcome Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou (George Michael) the singer on the google machine. Who woulda thought that?

1698771432408.png