Butchering your own animal

flybill

Life of the Party
Well I almost got my first doe tonight! With my car.. had to break hard and meet to the right! Honking the horn and it froze in between the two lanes, south end of carnation! I've had more than a few close calls and this small doe wouldn't have done much damage but I am hyper alert for deer when driving from my years in MT and back country stuff..

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Apparently these are not freezer safe 😕 I had no idea and thought by leaving the lids off until frozen and leaving room at top they would be OK. Lesson learned. Wasn't a total loss thankfully but still a bummer...
That's a shame. I think the shoulder on the jar got you. I freeze grape concentrate, in WIDEMOUTH quart jars, filled 3/4 full, successfully. I use the white plastic reusable lids for this.

Zak

Legend
Apparently these are not freezer safe 😕 I had no idea and thought by leaving the lids off until frozen and leaving room at top they would be OK. Lesson learned. Wasn't a total loss thankfully but still a bummer...
Sorry that happened! I freeze soups etc in gallon ziplock bags. I don't fill them all the way. I press all the air out before sealing and then freeze them flat. They stack nicely and it's easy to break a portion off without have to thaw out the whole thing.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Sorry that happened! I freeze soups etc in gallon ziplock bags. I don't fill them all the way. I press all the air out before sealing and then freeze them flat. They stack nicely and it's easy to break a portion off without have to thaw out the whole thing.
That's a great idea!

Reactions: Zak

Chadk

Life of the Party
And all of this is why I lost interest in hunting large animals a long time ago. A hunter from childhood, the 'enjoyment ledger' was becoming upside down.

I can well remember the day of hunting I came back to my truck skunked, and felt a distinct sense of relief that I'd bagged nothing, and didn't have a shitload of carcass preparation, butchering, and admixture ahead of me.
It's my favorite part!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Damn…

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
That's a shame. I think the shoulder on the jar got you. I freeze grape concentrate, in WIDEMOUTH quart jars, filled 3/4 full, successfully. I use the white plastic reusable lids for this.
I had to switch to the no-shoulder jars for freezing for just that reason, but the shoulder less jars work great for soups and chowders.

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter

Chadk

Life of the Party
I love the entire process start to finish. That old saying, “the fun ends after the kill” never resonated with me. Maybe I’m weird😂.
I like the expression "now the real work begins" - but I don't associate that as "not fun". Just different. And depending on the pack out - possibly much harder work. But I don't do it because it is easy. That's what McDonalds and Walmart are for...