Non-Fly Buoy 10

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That is one fishery I really wanna try but how bad is the combat fishing? I hear it’s bumper boats

Shad

Life of the Party
It is a fun fishery, but it beats the shit out of you most days, and yeah, those Tules...

Tastiest salmon on the planet. If you can't score a URB, the coho you almost always catch are as good as coho get for the table.

If anyone's looking to fill a seat for gas money and snacks, I'm game, BTW....

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I'm burning the hall pass Friday by driving right past buoy 10 heading about 40mi further west 😉

Think this may be the first year in a long time I've skipped that fishery. Just don't see me making a trip for it this year. But I'll have that many more days I can get them closer to home and have less tules to worry about.

That is one fishery I really wanna try but how bad is the combat fishing? I hear it’s bumper boats
I’ve only been on weekdays, and on guide boats. I have no knowledge of how busy the boat ramps are, but I’d figure busier than normal? The river gets busy areas for sure through the day, but I haven’t seen it like bumper boats.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I’ve only been on weekdays, and on guide boats. I have no knowledge of how busy the boat ramps are, but I’d figure busier than normal? The river gets busy areas for sure through the day, but I haven’t seen it like bumper boats.
If you haven't seen bumper boats, go fish Blind Channel on a incoming tide.

I'm burning the hall pass Friday by driving right past buoy 10 heading about 40mi further west 😉

Think this may be the first year in a long time I've skipped that fishery. Just don't see me making a trip for it this year. But I'll have that many more days I can get them closer to home and have less tules to worry about.
Good luck getting after those tuna!
This will be my sons first trip to B10. Even if he hooks into a tule, he’s still going to be stoked as all hell. Me on the other hand, I’d release them. The tule my dad caught last year, it smoked OK, but wasn’t great.

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Good luck getting after those tuna!
This will be my sons first trip to B10. Even if he hooks into a tule, he’s still going to be stoked as all hell. Me on the other hand, I’d release them. The rule my dad caught last year, it smoked OK, but wasn’t great.
Well if it's open up here later in to August and September, hop on my boat got a local sesh

Flatfish

Freshly Spawned
I fish and own a boat because of salmon angling.

Vast majority of my friends do as well.

Outside of my guide buddies (They are a for profit business. So Astoria hype machine is lucrative for them), only two of my non guide friends go to B10 any more.

I'll do silvers in after kings are closed. But the "Fun" side is dwarfed by the negative experience it has become. Used to be all of us looked forward to it. No more.

I'd rather mow the yard than put up with the experience it represents.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I fish and own a boat because of salmon angling.

Vast majority of my friends do as well.

Outside of my guide buddies (They are a for profit business. So Astoria hype machine is lucrative for them), only two of my non guide friends go to B10 any more.

I'll do silvers in after kings are closed. But the "Fun" side is dwarfed by the negative experience it has become. Used to be all of us looked forward to it. No more.

I'd rather mow the yard than put up with the experience it represents.
Yeah I've enjoyed it less each year. Plus at this point, I seem to do just fine closer to home without the need to burn the gas or vacation time to do the cluster that B10 is.

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter
Going on 19th and 20th , came back from a two day trip last weekend, it's not crowded at all, launches only 25% full zero lines at the launch, New regulations are keeping folks away, more folks are going into the ocean than fishing the river, but river fishing has been really good lately.

Going on 19th and 20th , came back from a two day trip last weekend, it's not crowded at all, launches only 25% full zero lines at the launch, New regulations are keeping folks away, more folks are going into the ocean than fishing the river, but river fishing has been really good lately.
I’m keeping an eye on the wind and swell. Really hoping the weather permits the guide to make a venture out into the salt when we go out.

Divad

Whitefish
This is how I feel right now in regards to the shifting demand from other waterways to Buoy 10.

1691698078878.gif

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Bouy 10 …. There a couple years ago in August and it was a zoo!

Amazes me how many fish and how many just want to fish to be part of the excitement per se. Definitely boats bump in to boats. We didn’t but a couple did. Plus there was a sinking a few days before. Not sure what happened but I’m sure it was about not being aware of your surroundings. Think that will be my last time doing that. I would be so damn nervous captaining a boat out there. Loud music from a couple boats was not really appreciated. Thank god we caught our limit and done by 10am. 😉

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter
It's sad to see the crown jewel of salmon fishing In pnw becoming a shell of what it used to be, yes the crowds and lines at the dock were Long, but there was an excitement in the air , it was a tradition for those who love salmon fishing, it was called superbowl for a reason. Now all I read is folks hating on B10 saying it can just go away, that is real easy to say when it's not your fishery , but when this happens to your fishery and the way things are trending it won't be long, people's views change when it hits home. It's not the number of fish that's causing these issues the fleet is mobile and has become way too deadly in the last 10 years, and will burn through impacts just as fast further up river.

Divad

Whitefish
I hate on buoy 10 but I don’t want it to go away. Keeps all the guide boats and jalopy crafts away and in one spot. Absolutely love Buoy10 ❤️