Building Tension Spooling Backing to Reel?

Divad

Whitefish
How do you guys build tension when spooling backing? I’ve been mounting my backing spool to a taped pencil and then run the dacron between my bare knees and squeezing.

After doing this 3-4 times admittedly the inside of my knees are a little raw but it builds strong tension. Ive tried using my pointer and middle finger on the hand holding the reel but wasn’t able to create much tension.

What do you do?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
By myself: Pencil, held between big and pointer(?) toes on each foot. I use the carpet to adjust tension.

That said, I’ve been thinking about building a jig since I haven’t changed backing in several years on some of my rods, and it’s probably time to do so. Plus, it’s an excuse to build something in the shop and take a break from the rod vault project.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I lace the backing through my first three fingers on my rod/reel hand. That seems to be adequate for 20 or 30# dacron. If you're using one of the super braids or the like, then another method of creating more tension would be necessary. I spooled up some 40# braid on one of my salmon reels, and the line buried itself so badly that a 26# Chinook couldn't pull it loose. I later broke that line trying to get it free on the reel. Landed the king tho.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Since I have a reel-e-good line winder I just apply pressure to the side of the backing spool. Otherwise, like Salmo, through my fingers.

Divad

Whitefish
By myself: Pencil, held between big and pointer(?) toes on each foot. I use the carpet to adjust tension.

That said, I’ve been thinking about building a jig since I haven’t changed backing in several years on some of my rods, and it’s probably time to do so. Plus, it’s an excuse to build something in the shop and take a break from the rod vault project.
Will have to try this method next time. Seems you’d be able to pack the backing nice and tight w/o line burned knees.

The diy option is in my future for sure, something that I can adjust tension on a spool with a threaded rod, wing nut and spring combo.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I route the line through the middle of a phone book when filling spinning reels. Maybe you could adapt that "tensioner?" I use a conventional spooler for fly reels.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

Chucker

Steelhead
I have a huge old Penn Senator shark reel. If I want really even, tight tension on a spool I just wind the line onto the penn, then wind it onto the spool against the drag. Does the job perfectly.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What’s a phone book?
Great question.
My truck broke down at the Town Pump in a small MT town. I needed to call my neighbors who lived 15 miles away on a land line but I couldn't remember the number so asked the cashier if he had a phone book that I could borrow. He looked at me kind of funny and took me over to the magazine stand and pointed to the maps and Atlases. Thankfully there was a second checker that was older that overheard the conversation and reached under the counter for the phone book or it would have been a long walk home.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Had several large spinning reels for upcoming Gulf of Mexico (Florida) surf fishing trip to spool with 40# braid.
Purchased this;
Has the ability to remove line as well.
First use, I didn't have enough pressure applied to the spool (475yds) of braid so it didn't spool evenly. Wound it back off, tightened the drag on the braid spool and put it back on the spinning reel. Worked perfectly!

Last edited: