budget travel surf spinning rod options?!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
title says it all. Basically, I'm looking for something like that for myself to take to Baja on future trips. But also, a good friend of mine who lives in Puerto Vallarta is looking into the same type of thing. By budget, I don't necessarily mean cheap, but definitely NOT looking for top of the line.

Thanks gear nuts!

C-man

Reactions: VMP

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

I believe St Croix and Shimano also make travel rods.
SF

Last edited:

Chucker

Steelhead
I have never been able to find anything that really fits the bill for this - all the rods that are sold as “travel rods” by the usual suspects are too light to throw a decent sized popper and make handling a mid size jack crevalle into an epic. I also don’t really want to spend $250 on a rod that I would use a couple of times per trip and likely leave behind!

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
go to during my 70's - 80's Baja runs was always an inexpensive 9' MH glass rod and 3500 series reel, cheapest I could find, with a couple of extra spools of 25# test and a bunch of white bucktails...at the end of each trip I'd gift them to locals we'd met at one of the surf spots we were posting up at....Seven Sisters, Cabo Collonet, Punta Baja, Scorpion Bay, etc...like to think their still in use.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I picked up a three piece Okuma SST; 7'6", Medium Heavy Action, 10-20# line wt, 3/8-1.5oz lure wt for exactly that purpose. It wasn't very expensive; probably in the $120 range, and is quite a decent rod. 'Heavy enough for PS salmon and (?) most of what you are likely to run into on Baja beaches.

VMP

Steelhead
I agree, it is pretty hard to find a spinning travel rod (4-piece) that is not light or medium light, most max out at lure weights around 1oz, heavier rods can be found as 3-piece depending on the brand (Okuma, TFO). Having said that, I have been happy with 4-piece Fenwick travel rods for casual near shore casting while traveling overseas. Beefier on the Fenwick travel ones are 7', fast action, rated as medium light. I have used to cast lures up to around 1oz with no problem, in saltwater and freswater catching from salmon to trout, bonito to mackerel, jacks to omilu, to juvenile yellowfin tuna (see picture!). Yes, fights can get epic at times, the picture day we were catching 20 to 30 lb shibis on heavier gear, with some smaller fish around as well, not sure what possessed me to try the little spin rod, but I did. I lucked out with a smaller one, that said, rod was maxed out, but it held. Fenwick also has lifetime warranty, they replaced two rods in the last 15 years or so, both rods broken due to user error, not fish abuse.

I have recently read about Shimano STC travel rods, 4 or 5 piece, medium to extra heavy, but so far I have only found them in European websites.

Just saw that LL Bean also has travel spin rods, not sure who makes them for them, around $100 it seems.

1712545259418.png

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
title says it all. Basically, I'm looking for something like that for myself to take to Baja on future trips. But also, a good friend of mine who lives in Puerto Vallarta is looking into the same type of thing. By budget, I don't necessarily mean cheap, but definitely NOT looking for top of the line.

Thanks gear nuts!

C-man

I have a travel Okuma rod and spinning reel that would fit the bill for you…you can borrow it…when I hat back in a few days I’ll send you pics and specs…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have a travel Okuma rod and spinning reel that would fit the bill for you…you can borrow it…when I hat back in a few days I’ll send you pics and specs…
Appreciate the offer. I really don't like borrowing things though just in case something goes wrong....like me breaking it. lol

I ended up impulsively grabbing something off of Amazon (10' MH) which should suit my needs...can't remember the brand...