Brrrr Lake

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
he text message came early Friday afternoon. It was from an acquaintance of mine, Tony. “Wanna join me at Brrrr Lake on Monday?” There was no hesitation on my part. “Sure” was my reply. So on Monday (President’s Day) we headed to Brrrr Lake. The drive was pretty uneventful until we gained some elevation and started seeing snow on the sides of the road and in the hills and as we got closer to our destination, there was slush on the road and lots of snow to be seen. A few minutes later, we come up to a snow plow. We’re not in any hurry, so we hang back at a safe distance and follow. Eventually he pulls off and we continue on. We run into another snow plow coming from the opposite direction. Was that a good sign or bad? Well, when we got to the turnoff to the lake, it was pretty much the end of the road. The road had not been plowed and the snow was too deep for his vehicle to make it to the launch. We decided to hang out and see if the plows would come back and plow the road.

As we were waiting, a Jeep that we had passed earlier pulled up alongside of us. The driver rolled down his window. To my surprise, it was a local YouTuber that goes by the handle Fly Fish Dan (FFD). Dan decided to head down and check out the launch. A little bit later, we see FFD coming back up and see the snow plows heading our way. Dan was going to help us get to the launch, but now with the snow plows, it was not necessary. So we rig up while the snow plows do their job. We invited FFD to join us and he asked if it would be okay if he filmed during the day for his YouTube channel. We told him it was okay.

The parking lot and launch had about 8” or so of snow on the ground. Dan was ahead of us and tried to make a trail and pack down some snow at the launch. After a few attempts at backing the trailer down, we launched the boat and were on our way.

What a beautiful day. NO WIND and the it was nice and sunny. I had to take off one of my layers because I was getting so warm. So Tony and FFD fish this lake a lot and know it very well. So, I had no issues with them outfishing me. It was a day to be outdoors and enjoy nature (we saw two elk and one coyote). I also found out later that success can be dependent upon boat position and the angler at the stern can have success, while the angler in the bow will not.

When we reached our first spot, I had the first hook up, but the fish came off. Moments later, I hooked up and landed one. From then on, it would be a long day for me…lol. I was a happy camper when the sun was out and not so much when it disappeared as it really got chilly. Mainly, my fingers were getting cold from stripping in line.

Tony and FFD were having an awesome day. Hook up after hook up. Believe me, I tried switching things up and emulating them, but no cigar. I got a lot of practice making backhand casts. One of the epic parts of the trip was FFD dry fly fishing and setting the hook a fish based on Tony’s reaction because the boat changed direction and I was blocking FFD’s view.

Before heading back to the boat launch, we stopped at one more spot and I hooked my second fish of the day. Only a mere 20+ behind the combined total of Tony and FFD….lol. Just before we head back to the launch, it starts snowing. And what was cool about was that when looking towards the upper end of the lake, you could see the wall of fog approaching and the interacting between that wall and the surface of the lake was incredible. I cannot properly describe it.

It was an epic trip. FFD was a very cool dude and both Tony and I made the cut in his video. Enjoy! --

I would like to thank Fly Fish Dan for allowing me to post some of the pictures he took from the trip.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Pic 6.jpg
    Pic 6.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Pic 7.jpg
    Pic 7.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Pic 8.jpg
    Pic 8.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Pic 9.jpg
    Pic 9.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Pic 10.jpg
    Pic 10.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 36

Paul_

Life of the Party
Great report! You should of tried the jig leech FFD was using😂.

I agree with you on boat positioning. I think that is one of the most underrated aspects of success.

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Hi Bruce,
Great trip for mid-February. And a lot of action, including on dry midges, even!!! Were you seeing actual surface action? Such an amazing place.
Steve

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Great report. I’m curious to hear more about the importance of boat position and/or position within a boat in influencing fishing success on this (or any) lake. Other than being close enough to put the flies where they need to be, I’m not sure I follow.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Hi Bruce,
Great trip for mid-February. And a lot of action, including on dry midges, even!!! Were you seeing actual surface action? Such an amazing place.
Steve
Yes, we were seeing some fish rising. Flyfish Dan was the only one of us who brought a floating line. Since there were three of us, we limited the amount of rods brought on the boat and myself and Tony just brought sinking lines.

Paul_

Life of the Party
Great report. I’m curious to hear more about the importance of boat position and/or position within a boat in influencing fishing success on this (or any) lake. Other than being close enough to put the flies where they need to be, I’m not sure I follow.
From my experience on this lake the fish cruise certain zones.
If you’re not in the zone, your success rate is going to be low.

The way the boat is positioned in this example, the angler in the bow is going to have less success than the angler in the stern-
093B38DC-4FD6-454D-B920-9AF6D1178437.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
From my experience on this lake the fish cruise certain zones.
If you’re not in the zone, your success rate is going to be low.

The way the boat is positioned in this example, the angler in the bow is going to have less success than the angler in the stern-
View attachment 7029
Thanks for the graphic!
I can tell who is driving this boat, lol. Rotate that baby 90 degrees and both anglers can have smiley faces, right?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Great report! Finding late winter fish in a biting mood is always a hoot.

Fishing 3 out of the boat is always a challenge. Positioning the boat so everyone has access to “the zone” is hard. Depending on the conditions, the best option may be to trade off the hot seat. Running bow and stern anchors helps a ton but even then the slope of the bottom and W will dictate what’s possible. There’s lots to think about. Running the boat is work :)

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great report! Finding late winter fish in a biting mood is always a hoot.

Fishing 3 out of the boat is always a challenge. Positioning the boat so everyone has access to “the zone” is hard. Depending on the conditions, the best option may be to trade off the hot seat. Running bow and stern anchors helps a ton but even then the slope of the bottom and W will dictate what’s possible. There’s lots to think about. Running the boat is work :)
That’s why I was so happy when you bought my boat :)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I finally watched the video and I get what you’re talking about more, @Bruce Baker. You were too nice and let FFD box you out. Shoulda threatened to toss ol’ Dan in the lake let alone hook fish with his line draped over your shoulder. 😉

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The production quality of that video isn’t bad. It is a good thing I wasn’t there though, because he would have seriously struggled editing out my incessant talking and diva moments.

BDD

Steelhead
This was really cool; glad I took the time to watch it and thanks for posting it.

@Bruce Baker-Did you or Tony know or had you heard of FFD before this day? They way you meet up was neat. I generally like his videos and our fishing spots overlap somewhat. I've never really latched on to the "Fish On" expression but that is just me. Very nice of you to invite him along. He must have had a drone to record some of that video?