Bonefish rod, 8 wt., Echo or TFO?

Fenwick

Freshly Spawned
Gentlemen; I am looking at purchasing a new rod for bonefish, maybe an occasional striper on the northeast coast .

Leaning towards the Blitz at the moment. Anybody use either or both of these rods? Suggestions good or bad?? Or maybe another brand or model.

I would like to stay in this price range, $450 or less. The rod warranty is also a factor. I am comfortable fishing a fast rod and want to have it as a backup or maybe primary to a Sage 9' sas I built years ago.

Edit.... Maybe even purchase a rainshadow blank similar to the above Echo or TFO rods. Suggestions on a rainshadow blank are welcome.

Thank you

Last edited:

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm not super familiar with most of the TFO lineup. I've had good experiences with the few TFO rods I've owned, but I am a pretty big Echo fan so I always lean that direction.

The Echo EPR and the Prime rods are also worth considering. I own both in 10 and 12 wts and they are fantastic.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve fished the blitz and while I don’t have much bonefish experience, I think you may really want to consider other options. My understanding is (and based on what I thought fishing it), it was a better bigger fly, heavier line rod, more open water stuff, not as much an accurate rod.

I was a big fan of the echo 3s, along with plenty other rods from like the prime and such.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Echo Boost Blue 8wt ? $300 brand new and can’t beat the Echo warranty.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Pick any rod and get the right line for it. Become quick and accurate to about 60 feet and you will be completely convinced you have made the right choice.

G_Smolt

Legend
Seconding the Echo EPR and Prime, as well as the Boost Blue. I've fished all of them in 7 thru 12 wts and if I had to pick a favorite 8wt from the 3, it would be the EPR as it fits my casting style best. The Boost Blue is pretty dang close in terms of power, and is a bit more forgiving than the EPR. The Prime is the "softest" of the bunch, but that is a relatively measure as it is still a med-fast action rod and excels at 30'-50' deliveries with a single false cast.

I'd visit a flypole shop that stocked all 3 and cast them for yourself, that's the only way you're really going to make the right decision.

Fenwick

Freshly Spawned
Thanks guys. I will most likely go with the boost blue.

Line for the rod for bonefish? SA amplitude smooth bonefish PLUS. Does that sound ok?

RCF; I had a fenwick glass rod back in the mid 70's. Cant remember model, maybe HMG, brown color??? But lost it from the back of the truck.

Dimebrite; thank you, but looking for a new rod with a warranty.

I have fished the 7, 8, and 10 wt TFO Blitz rods for PNW salmon off the beach and Cuban bonefish and tarpon. They are fast and designed and built to cast weighted flies in the wind and fight big fish as well. You cannot go wrong with the Blitzs. Pay attention to your reels, however. That’s where the action is on the flats . . .

Leland

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
TFO Axiom IIx is a fantastic rod. Its been my go to for redfish and bonefish for a few years now. Paired with the SA Bonefish line.

Fenwick

Freshly Spawned
Just an update guys. Purchased a 8wt Echo boost blue, Have only wiggled it in the basement, balances fine with the reel and line, will cast it later in week. Thanks for the suggestions.
Between this new rod and my old Scott 9'6 SAS rod, which I have not cast in 8 years, should keep me going.
Thanks again

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
You mentions a Rainshadow blank. I build a 8wt from one of their RX7 blank years ago. Fast rod, and I took it to Hawaii. Did well with a tropical line.