Bluetooth Fish Finder?

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Are most of you using the transducer that is included with the striker? How are you connecting the transducer to a pontoon boat?

Last edited:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Are most of you using the transducer that is included with the striker? How are you connecting the transducer to a pontoon boat?
The GT 20 transducer is the one my striker came with. It is an excellent transducer.

I use this to attach it to my super fat cat. Easy to cinch down and doesn't move around.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
The GT 20 transducer is the one my striker came with. It is an excellent transducer.

I use this to attach it to my super fat cat. Easy to cinch down and doesn't move around.

Billy, what’s your sense of how last minute DIY-able mounting on a pontoon is? My stuff is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I would like to give it a whirl Saturday. I’m not above a zip tie and duct tape solution while I wait for something more permanent.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Billy, what’s your sense of how last minute DIY-able mounting on a pontoon is? My stuff is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I would like to give it a whirl Saturday. I’m not above a zip tie and duct tape solution while I wait for something more permanent.
Screw the transducer to something (like a chunk of 2x,), and attach that something to your frame (zip ties and duck tape should be fine for a maiden voyage). I'd actually prefer this so you can get the feel for how you want to layout a more permanent setup.
1681420958163.png

Reactions: NRC

Divad

Whitefish
@NRC I get a good few days of fishing from the 4.4ah Nocqua, same setup.

I’ve been eyeballing this for my hike in setup since the massive ball n socket, transducer extension arm mount is too heavy.

B4259758-1CF5-46B7-A9DF-D9629EFDB98C.png
It’s a Scotty style base with a mount that accommodates two straps and the transducer is a more robust mount than some of the strap ones I’ve seen. Only weighs a lb.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

This mount is an excellent choice, particularly at under $50. Stuff like this wasn't available a few years ago and as a result I built 4 separate mounts for various boats. Two are still in service because they were built hell for stout and lightweight but when I wanted to upgrade the old one on my Super Fat Cat is was a no brainer-buy the Fishfindermount and don't look back.

One caveat for using it on inflatables though. Replace the webbing it came with by using an NRS strap instead. It is far more dependable and easier to use that the stock strap with the plastic buckle. Here at Ive's Cut and Try Tool and Die plastic buckles are frowned upon.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
@NRC I get a good few days of fishing from the 4.4ah Nocqua, same setup.

I’ve been eyeballing this for my hike in setup since the massive ball n socket, transducer extension arm mount is too heavy.

View attachment 61539
It’s a Scotty style base with a mount that accommodates two straps and the transducer is a more robust mount than some of the strap ones I’ve seen. Only weighs a lb.
I think you will regret having the transducer straight below the tube. Mainly the first time you forget it's there and go to launch your boat or go shallow to take a leak etc and hear it grind on the bottom. The other thing is it would be difficult to adjust. If it's angled off to a side you can reach it and move it easily out of the way.

Divad

Whitefish
I think you will regret having the transducer straight below the tube. Mainly the first time you forget it's there and go to launch your boat or go shallow to take a leak etc and hear it grind on the bottom. The other thing is it would be difficult to adjust. If it's angled off to a side you can reach it and move it easily out of the way.
I like the 4-5” rise on the BroCraft one though and lightweight aspect.

I might have to modify the swing arm longer to mount it on the side of the tube after hearing your wisdom. I don’t think I’d forget buuut I also have hiked in with a couple beers before….

BriGuy

Life of the Party
If you use a trolling motor, you can actually mount the transducer to the bottom of the motor housing with the included curved mounting bracket and zip ties (although I used a long serpentine hose clamp instead of the zip ties). It fit and worked well. The fin on the motor actually provides some protection against weed and bottom encounters. You just have to be careful routing the wire.

I've since switched to a rugged aluminum transom mount from Cabelas. It might not work on a pontoon unless you have a transom mount or other place to put it.

I was worried about electrical noise from the motor, but I think it might actually give a clearer view than the transom mount. Still testing, though.

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The sound this makes is horrid. I will say that transducer is a tough SOB.
Just last Thursday I was loading my Striker raft back into the truck after a very wet couple of hours and heard the horrid sound. Doh!! Yep, I forgot to slide it back up. It was on the bottom of the tube.
I inspected it and it's still in one piece! I didn't test if it was still working.
Guess we'll find out on the next outing.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Castable? Meaning one could toss this thing out in a river and let it float thru a steelhead run to see if there's any fish there?

I bet it would work in frog water for coho. I'm not so sure about rougher more shallow steelhead water. I'm sure someone has tried it by now. If it works it won't be long before we see an addicted video on youtube.