Bluetooth Fish Finder?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone try one of those very portable bluetooth fish finders that transmit to your cell phone? Look like a magic 8 ball and reportedly works both as a fish finder and a bottom contour readout? Seems like a possible answer to my lack of a fish finder for my float tube... I'd love to hear any real life reviews. Thanks

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
@clarkman was using one for a while, maybe he can chime in.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a Lowrance Fish Hunter castable fish finder which we use for checking tidewater holes while fly fishing for chinookies. It works quite well - uses wifi to transmit data and has a range of about 100' - 120'. My only complaint is the battery life is not tremendous so you have to use it selectively. Here's a screen shot showing chinook sitting at the head of a tidewater hole.

castablefishfinder.png

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I have a Lowrance Fish Hunter castable fish finder which we use for checking tidewater holes while fly fishing for chinookies. It works quite well - uses wifi to transmit data and has a range of about 100' - 120'. My only complaint is the battery life is not tremendous so you have to use it selectively. Here's a screen shot showing chinook sitting at the head of a tidewater hole.

View attachment 61412
Castable? Meaning one could toss this thing out in a river and let it float thru a steelhead run to see if there's any fish there?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Anyone try one of those very portable bluetooth fish finders that transmit to your cell phone? Look like a magic 8 ball and reportedly works both as a fish finder and a bottom contour readout? Seems like a possible answer to my lack of a fish finder for my float tube... I'd love to hear any real life reviews. Thanks
yeah, do yourself a favor and just go straight to a Garmin Striker.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
is that the one that stores a contour map? I've always wondered how those handle lake level fluctuations, where the depth changes at the same spot.

is that the one that stores a contour map? I've always wondered how those handle lake level fluctuations, where the depth changes at the same

is that the one that stores a contour map? I've always wondered how those handle lake level fluctuations, where the depth changes at the same spot.
Hmmm, thought I had the easy answer. I would think as it records in real time it should update your path only. "Paper " maps always stay the same until a new one comes up, correct?
This could get interesting

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Hmmm, thought I had the easy answer. I would think as it records in real time it should update your path only. "Paper " maps always stay the same until a new one comes up, correct?
This could get interesting
I figured the advantage would be that it builds a contour and saves it to create a topo map (and maybe that isn't what actually happens). If that's how it works, does it get confused when the same spot is ten feet deep one day, and eleven feet deep the next day.

And it turns out it's a manual process to enter an offset

Recording Offset​

Allows the user to adjust for changes between last sonar recording depth and the sonar depth. Users can manually adjust the Recording Offset while surveying:

For example the last recorded sonar depth was 10.5 feet and today the sonar reads 12 feet, enter a -1.5 feet in the recording offset value.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Gotcha. That’s the “apple sized” battery Billy’s referring to yeah?

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Yes, 4.4. Not sure if that's the same one Billy is referring to, but it's about that size. Very small and lightweight. I think @iveofione was the one I remember mentioning this model. There was a good post on it a while back.
Sweet, thanks! Just ordered my striker and battery. Looks like the striker draws .23 amps, so 4.4 amp hours should be plenty for how long my hall passes last. Just have to figure out how to mount on my pontoon before I get out on Saturday…