Black bamboo “ugly stick”

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
The tip top size went from a 5.5 to a 7…..lost about 6.5” too. I’ll tape some guides on and lawn cast it to see if it’s GE…

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Well with the crappy weather today…..those who know me…..Ugly Stik III is being made! Only a few hours, minimal components=retirement project! Here’s what the node looks like after cutting the branch off, then a little filing and felt pens to camouflage/blend in.
IMG_3796.jpeg
IMG_3800.jpegIMG_3799.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
Steve gave me one of the bamboo sticks to create my own crooked monster.
Maiden trip was last Tuesday with a 5wt floating line which casted horribly. Slipped on another reel loaded with 5wt type III full sink. Now the rod was singing. C&R some plants to christen the rod and splashed crown with Steve. A good day for sure.
Friday took the rod out on another still water with a 7wt floating line which was much better. Fished paraloop emergers all day C&R (mot as many as Steve, of course) but felt like I could live with this rod. It fits in well with my other restored bamboo rods.
One of my sons saw the rod this weekend and said I was going Huck Finn. Millennials! What the heck does Huck Finn mean... Ha.
I will make sure he inherits the rod in 20 years.

1714958253718.png
1714958314982.png

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Well I really didn’t “punish” the trout today….I devirginized it with 18 trout, 1 bass, 1 nice crappie and 1 bluegill for a slam! All on emergers sight casting. The rod did great but the reelseat didn’t like the Pflueger foot….fell off quite a few times…..replace with a Hardy! I couldn’t tell you how many fish I LDR’d and flat out missed…..all in all a good day on the water!

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Sounds like a fun break from typical rod-building activities. First time I have ever seen new flyrods that CAME with character!

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
The punisher lived up to its name today…..20 trout, two bass and one pumpkinseed! Very nice sized trout casting and stripping a black flashy leech, other 8 on the bobber on Ugly Stik II. Tom video’d the best trout making my Hardy Featherweight sing! Might post that later….great day in the sunshine!

Last edited: