Black bamboo “ugly stick”

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It's Spring after all, this must be like Steve's prom and he'll be damned if he's going to show up at either the high school gym or the South King County stocker pond only to find there's another dude there kitted out just like him!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
You crack me up Steve. That thing is amazing.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
70 degrees….fish rising….C&R’d 41 all on the black bamboo! Mostly sight casting midge emergers. You guys gotta do one of these rodz….cast as well or better than a lot of my Hotrodz! This is the 6th real cane rodz I’ve made, by far my favorite. The looks at the launch is well worth the price of admission!!

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The beauty of it is not so much in it's appearance but in that as it dries it will change. If you only fish it once per month it will be like a different rod every time . Brilliant!

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Once a month??? Another “thing” wanting to turn into “Ugly Stik II” hmmmmmmmm? Crappy weather for awhile.
IMG_3786.jpeg

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Steve let me cast the new stick the other day. Took a few casts to figure out the basic timing and was completely amazed at how well it casted.
It was much better sitting back and watching Steve make one beautiful cast after another with that crazy stick.
And of course he had to C & R more fish.
Goes to show that a good caster can cast any rod, whereas a $1000 rod won't help a crappy caster.

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Ugly Stik II might even be a better casting stik than #1……I lawn cast it this morning, I guess for real results I’ll have to try several different lines….but I really don’t care that much, all I want is to cast as far as the fish are! Which for me isn’t much past 40’ in lakes. I wonder if I actually built a fairly straight one…..how far could Joan Wulff double haul it???
I used a dark wood wax on the “bamboo” grip.
IMG_3795.jpegIMG_3793.jpeg

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party

what I like about this is not just your ingenuity but skill.
It simply goes to show it it doesn’t take a $1-2,000 to catch fish
You wouldn’t believe how well these funky crooked stiks cast! I used a type III sink and can cast 40’-50’ easily! Even less effort with a 5wt Cortland Sylk dry line. The best thing about fishing these stiks are the looks I get at the boat launch! And you’re so right about not needing rods that cost $$$$ to catch the same trout….don’t get me wrong, I have some nice rods too but “why be normal???” They’re collecting dust now…..but I’ve only been fly tying/fishing for 58 years so far! It’s all good!