NFR Billie Franks Jr. Nisqually Wildlife Refuge, 18 February 2022

Non-fishing related

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
[Part 1 0f 3] With the prospect of a drizzly holiday weekend on tap (and over her birthday to boot), my wife and I found that we both had no meetings or appointments on Friday morning. So, off on an adventure to the Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. We had actually tried to visit the refuge in late morning the previous sunny weekend, but even after two circuits of the parking lots, there weren’t any spaces. We left. [And we were shut out of Tolmie State Park too. The sun brings every Washingtonian out of their caves this time of year.]. But, an overcast early Friday morning is a great time to visit Nisqually.

We hadn’t even parked when I almost drove us off the road as I saw a male hooded merganser in the pond by the Visitor Center. We quickly parked, geared up, and fast-marched back to the pond. Before we got there though, a spotted towhee male popped out as if to say “Look at me. I’m in fine plumage too.”.
Z01SpottedTowhee8742.jpg

A pair of hooded mergansers were diving in the pool by the entrance to the visitor center. Often both the drake and the hen would dive synchronously as if practicing for the Summer Olympics. The drake posed for several pictures while the hen dove under the bridge that bisects the pool and foraged alone on that far side.
Z02HoodedMerganserDrake8777.jpg

From the viewing platform at the Visitor Center that overlooks the main pond, we could see several mallard pairs that were scattered about feeding. I think that the ducks may know that hunting season is over as they appear to be a bit less skittish than they were a few weeks earlier.

We decide to hike the Twin Barns loop trail in the counter-clockwise direction. We saw a few song sparrows as we walked down the leg toward the dike by the Nisqually River. There wasn’t any bird activity on the riparian spur trail but we did find several osoberry = Indian plum shrubs (Oemleria cerasiformes) in bloom
Z03IndianPlumFlowers2180042.jpg

as well as some salmonberry (Rubus spectabilis) flowers.
Z04EarlySalmonberryFlower2180057.jpg

So, the calendar might say mid-February, but the vegetation (and some of the bird activity) is reflecting spring. With the deciduous trees and shrubs bare at present, the lichens, mosses and fungi stood out even more than they would when everything has leafed out and there are flowers and fruits present.
Z05BranchingLichens2180043.jpg

Except for the starlings calling high in the trees, the walk along the canal to the west was quiet. We have recently read reports online of folks spotting several owl species, including great horned owls, short-eared owls, and Northern saw-whet owl. We scanned the trees carefully, but finding a camouflaged owl against a tree trunk or on a side branch makes finding a needle in a haystack an easy task.

So, when we encountered a group of robins squawking at the junction of the western dike trail and the gravel N-S dike trail, we kept our eyes peeled for an owl that might be the nexus of this ruckus.
Z06AmericanRobin8835.jpg

Adding to the noise, a Bewick’s wren was calling in the mix.
Z07BewicksWren8806.jpg

In the end, it just appeared that the robins were jousting with each other – spring hormones. A pair of hairy woodpeckers were foraging in the same area.
Z08HairyWoodpecker8834.jpg
Steve

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
[Part 2 of 3] We continued out to the overlook of the Nisqually River. Two goldeneye hens were diving out of the main current and a pair of red-breasted mergansers splashed in from further downstream. It seems early for the emergence and out-migration of chum salmon fry but I could be wrong. The young of both chum and pink salmon spend very little time in freshwater before migrating into the ocean in early spring.

Beyond the junction of the N-S dike trail and the trail from Twin Barns, we encountered another mixed species flock. Several golden-crowned sparrows were feeding on new grass shoots while golden-crowned kinglets were searching the tree branches for insects.
Y01GoldenCrownedSparrow8854.jpg

A very cooperative brown creeper worked its way up some of the tree trunks by the trail. I had never noticed before just how large the creeper’s claws are.
Y02BrownCreeper8873.jpg

Black-capped chickadees gleaned insects from the young trees on the west side of the trail.

It was noisy when we reached the freshwater marshes. Several times, we saw flights of geese, probably Canadian geese, high overhead. And several small groups of Canadian geese in the marsh let out a racket. Under these conditions, it is a good idea to scan the skies for a bald eagle that may be poised to attack, but all the eagles that we saw this morning, several adults and several juveniles, were perched quietly in trees. And while we saw a red-tailed hawk, a northern harrier, and a red-shouldered hawk in our morning walk, none of these birds are big enough to threaten an adult-sized Canadian goose. When we looked more carefully, it appeared to be aggression between individual geese that was driving the ruckus – more evidence of rising hormone levels.

The puddle ducks were actively feeding but each species was using very different behavior. A flock of American wigeons had climbed up onto the sloping side of the dike to pluck the blades of green grasses, much like geese.
Y03AmericanWigeonDrake8916.jpg

The pintails tipped up (dabbling = head down, butt up) to probe their bills in the mud for food, much like mallards.
Y03PintailPair8953.jpg
Y04MallardDrake8975.jpg

While the Northern shovelers would also dabble,
Y06NorthernShovelerDabbling8960.jpg

they also used a more interestingly feeding behavior. Individual birds or pairs of shovelers would spin around a point at the surface. This creates a vortex that draws food to the surface at center of the vortex; the fine lamellae (comb-like structures) on their monster bills filter the food from the water.
Y07NorthernShovelerPair8949.jpg

On the estuary side, green-winged teals swept their bills side-to-side through the fine mud right at the water’s edge; presumably, they were also straining fine particles on the lamellae of their bills.
Y08GreenWingedTealPair8956.jpg

We had heard the distinctive call of a killdeer from the parking lots at the start of our visit. And later, we heard the distinctive call of a greater yellowlegs out in the salt marsh. One soon appeared along the shoreline probing for buried prey.
Y09GreaterYellowlegs8970.jpg
Steve

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
[Part 3 of 3]
Back in the freshwater marsh, several great blue herons were scattered like great gray statues. Male red-winged blackbirds made showy flights to display their red epaulets. Hidden marsh wrens called from the dried grasses. But if you were patient, they might put in a brief appearance before disappearing again.
W01MarshWren8886.jpg

It was a relatively nice day for February. With the warm temperature, we heard tree frogs calling from cover. I saw several midges flying over the gravel dike. So, I guess that we shouldn’t have been too surprised that a small flock of swallows (exact id’s unknown) flew by.

On the walk back, the trip had several more highlights for us. The diving ducks put on a display in the large pond by the Visitor Center. A ring-necked drake and a bufflehead drake were diving for a mid-morning snack quite close to the boardwalk trail.
W02RingNeckedDuckDrake8989.jpg
W03BuffleheadDrake8996.jpg

And out of nowhere, a pied-billed grebe cruised right toward my location along the shoreline.
W04PiedBilledGrebe9014.jpg

Another great day at the refuge.
Steve

Attachments

• W01MarshWren8886.jpg
    W01MarshWren8886.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 0
Fabulous post! I love the natural history notes as much as the excellent photography. But a question. How did you know the geese were Canadian? They could just as easily have been American. Just joshing' you; you probably know as well as I do that the correct name is "Canada goose." I, and many others, make that same mistake all the time.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Fabulous post! I love the natural history notes as much as the excellent photography. But a question. How did you know the geese were Canadian? They could just as easily have been American. Just joshing' you; you probably know as well as I do that the correct name is "Canada goose." I, and many others, make that same mistake all the time.
They had accent's and wore Tim Horton's caps or toques...;)
Steve

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Richard is correct, geese don’t have nationalities. Also, there are no “sea” gulls. It is just gull.

Hooded mergers are one of my favorites.