Big Fly Boxes for Streamers / Boats

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Looking for recommendations for medium to large fly boxes to load up for a 7 day river float in AK. I have something like 200 flies tied up that need homes. The majority are decent size flies like #1 and #2 bunny strip leeches and similar. The boat bag I was planning to take isn't big enough for the 14x11 type big boxes, but I was looking at stuff like the Cliff's Bugger Beast Jr and the like in that 10x7 type size range. I'll probably carry a couple smaller boxes to use while away from the boat too.

In recent years I've gotten used to mainly using plano type boxes for stinger clousers and the like, so haven't really tried any of the new boxes over the last decade or so. My buddy that has done a couple trips like this said he keeps smaller boxes then has spare flies stashed in plastic baggies. This makes some sense but not sure how appealing that sounds to me.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Plano pistol case with foam glued in. Not waterproof though.

I've always had a tough time spending the amount they want for the purpose built extra large "fly" boxes like Cliff's.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'm in the plano group too. Although I have a few of the bigger boat boxes, most of my big uglies are in planos.

I noticed recently they (plano) has a "edge pro" version now that claims to be watertight if that's something you're looking for. The 3600 is about the size you mentioned. Might be worth checking out if waterproof(ish) is something you're looking for.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have one of the "nicer" boxes. And while it's waterproof, it's just kinda annoying. I don't have a boat (which kinda negates the waterproof-ness) and it's more of a staging/long storage box where I then fill a smaller box that I wade/walk with. I'm more inclined to go with some gallon zip lock bags these days. The marketing got me... 🤷‍♂️

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Matt,
Good suggestions so far.
I'll also add that it might be worth a trip to Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Staples if you have one nearby.
Hobby Lobby and Michaels have various plastic boxes, foam and adhesives all in one place.
SF

Last edited:

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

While there or online buy some rubber cement and 5mm foam to glue in them. Mine have lasted a while. If using rubber cement I’d make a box but let it sit open for a while and spray with alcohol/water mix to get rid of the smell. But however you want to you can glue foam in and you’re set.

I’ve sometimes glued in a foam pad then another piece of foam on top of that with slits in it. In hindsight don’t feel like the slit foam was worth it.

Note the sizes. Some of the bigger ones are nice for Muskie flies etc but don’t fit in a boat bag so not sure how important storage of the box is.

Otherwise I just use Plano boxes.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Appreciate the tips. @clarkman @mcswny my buddy gets thick plastic zip top bags for his excess flies, then keeps a selection in a box. Which I might do, but I for sure want a big box or two to keep a selection handy and easily accessible while fishing and not having to rummage through a pile of baggies.

Maybe I'll take a field trip @Stonedfish but free runaround time is not something I have a lot of these days.

Right now I have two of the 3700 Planos stuffed pretty full and can't fit them. Maybe I'll grab some 3600 boxes and see how that looks and if I can fit a couple in my boat bag.

Someone on here has to use the purpose built boxes though! :LOL: @swimmy doesn't seem like the kind of guy with homemade fly boxes or flies in zip locks. Anybody, anybody?

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I have 6 of these and they’ve survived travel all over the world.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
The Montana Fly Company Boat Box (get the insert as well) is the best I've found.

montana-fly-company-mfc-boat-box.jpg

51iIcqgeTQL._SY355_1400x.jpg

Reactions: HOG

Divad

Whitefish
The Montana Fly Company Boat Box (get the insert as well) is the best I've found.

montana-fly-company-mfc-boat-box.jpg

51iIcqgeTQL._SY355_1400x.jpg
Do those actually work for people with streamers? I always find anything articulated to become a nightmare in slit foam. I bought one of those once and now it is in a friend’s boat.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Do those actually work for people with streamers? I always find anything articulated to become a nightmare in slit foam. I bought one of those once and now it is in a friend’s boat.
Yeah I was wondering the same. Most of my local boxes are stuffed with stinger clousers which aren't great in foam and why I mainly use plano here. However the majority of my AK stuff is not articulated (some though).

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah I was wondering the same. Most of my local boxes are stuffed with stinger clousers which aren't great in foam and why I mainly use plano here. However the majority of my AK stuff is not articulated (some though).
If you dont put both hooks (if your running two hooks) into the foam, it gets real floppy real quick.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I generally hook both hooks. But I'm pretty tighty with my box.
3zL9TqvH_o.gif

I do like it cause it holds way more flies than the bugger box, more durable, and water proof.

Reactions: HOG

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
20220715_143611.jpg
20220715_143803.jpg
Hi, I'm currently using these large boxes. They work well and weren't really expensive. I think I spent about $45 for the Bugger Beast and about $20 - $25 for the other 2. Those MFC Boat Boxes are really nice but are pretty expensive...at least to me anyway. I do like that you can add the extra inserts. Maybe I'll get one someday.