Battery Recommendations for Trolling Motor

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Need to replace my battery for a Minnkota 30 motor for my pontoon. I don’t use it enough to require the expensive lithium batteries, appears the 35 AH AGM batteries are all about the same, $75-100. Thinking this one is as good as any in the price range, input appreciated.
D15E5F39-1F18-4F0B-A4DB-3BD0769855BF.png

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Robert, that looks about as good as any and at a good price. I use the Power Sonic 35ah, also from Amazon at $77 with free shipping. The difference being that the Power Sonics have a folding handle that makes for a cleaner profile, less stuff for line to get caught on.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Need to replace my battery for a Minnkota 30 motor for my pontoon. I don’t use it enough to require the expensive lithium batteries, appears the 35 AH AGM batteries are all about the same, $75-100. Thinking this one is as good as any in the price range, input appreciated.
View attachment 50462
That will work. I had a similar battery for my pontoon boat’s Minkota 30. I ended up replacing it with a 12 volt 50AH lithium ion battery and it was well worth the added cost where I get 8 plus hours of power vs 3 3/4 hours.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Robert, that looks about as good as any and at a good price. I use the Power Sonic 35ah, also from Amazon at $77 with free shipping. The difference being that the Power Sonics have a folding handle that makes for a cleaner profile, less stuff for line to get caught on.
Thanks Ive, I’ll look at that. I had two 35’s that fit in my battery box very nicely but have let them go and after 4 years it’s time to replace. Only going with one as that’s enough for me, only use it to motor from point to point.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks Ive, I’ll look at that. I had two 35’s that fit in my battery box very nicely but have let them go and after 4 years it’s time to replace. Only going with one as that’s enough for me, only use it to motor from point to point.
I've had a 35A-Hr with the same style handle (PowerKing I think). The tabs on the bottom of the handle easily pop out the side of the case. I would just pop one side of the handle out and slide it between the battery and the battery box so the handle was essentially flush with the top of the battery.

20210904_3.jpg

Last edited:

mickey rat

Vermin
I've had a 35A-Hr with the same style handle (PowerKing I think). The tabs on the bottom of the handle easily pop out the side of the case. I would just pop one side of the handle out and slide it between the battery and the battery box so the handle was essentially flush with the top of the battery.

View attachment 50473
Nice Ken. Do you have your PWM tucked down in there too? BTW I have this U1 size battery.
71IXDpqgT7S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice Ken. Do you have your PWM tucked down in there too? BTW I have this U1 size battery.
View attachment 50475
Yeah, my PWM is on the left of the battery, below the 30A breaker. The gray cable is attached to the remote PWM controller. The battery box is just a shotgun shell box from a big box store - convenient for moving the battery and PWM controller around as a single package. Fewer hookups at the boat launch.

20210904_214100393.jpg

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
View attachment 50462
If you google wheelchair battery you may find two offer for just for half that price added like i paid little over $100 for two