Battery for trolling motor

Searun

Smolt
Was wondering what you are all running for a lightweight battery for your trolling motors? I'm looking for a new one for my pram and would like to save some weight. How many amp hours should I be looking for? Thanks!

RCF

Life of the Party
A couple of threads for your interest/read:

To add longevity of the battery during use look into adding a PWM:

Battery size (AH) is really dependent on how you are going to use it. Slow troll all day long, going from place to place fast, big or small lakes, etc. plus the size of motor....

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You are living in the golden age of lightweight batteries! For years I have used 35ah SLA/AGM batteries on my pram and pontoon that weigh about 24# and cost around $75. They last plenty long for my needs as I have never ran one down and using a PWM control has extended the range even more.

But if you want to spend 2X or more a better choice would be a LIFePO4 deep cycle battery of 50ah that weighs just around 12 #. It is tiny compared to the lead acid based batteries and will be rated in the neighborhood of 3,000 charging cycles-far more than a conventional battery.

For my depth finders I am using the tiny Nocqua 12v battery pack to replace my old 5ah SLA batteries which weigh 3.5 #. The Nocqua weighs 12 ounces and last longer. Lots of good information in RCF's thread.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
run a 40# thrust off two of these 23# AGM's providing 70 amps wired in parallel...not a troller, a pick up and move to next stop at full speed approach, can run several miles in a session without getting close to the 50% discharge threshold.
Amazon product ASIN B00K8E0WAG

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
This year I splurged on a Lithium FePO4 100Ah battery. Took it out once for only about an hour last weekend, worked well enough although no where near it's capability.
Love how light it is compared to the old lead one. Happy with it so far.
I use a 40lbs thrust Minnkota trolling motor.

Screenshot_20230406-143736.png

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I am never going back to lead-acid after getting a LiFePo4 battery. My back is much happier

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Be sure to read the instructions, if any, that come with your LiFePo4 battery. My 50ah battery is not supposed to be hooked up to any more than a 10 amp charger. A friend of mine has killed two LiFePo4s using a 20 amp charger. At $200 a pop it's an expensive lesson.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Be sure to read the instructions, if any, that come with your LiFePo4 battery. My 50ah battery is not supposed to be hooked up to any more than a 10 amp charger. A friend of mine has killed two LiFePo4s using a 20 amp charger. At $200 a pop it's an expensive lesson.
LiFeP04 batteries are not a 1 to 1 replacement for a lead acid model. They come with some caveats that you have to observe. Make sure you know what to expect before you buy and know that your present battery charger just isn't going to work. Either buy a dedicated charger or a new model that is capable of charging all types of batteries. They don't need charging as often but as WW noted, charging them wrong can be fatal.

onefish

Steelhead
I have a 36lb, 100ah dakota LiFePO4 with a dedicated 10A charger that came with the battery. 1/2 the weight, twice the useable amp hours, 3 times the lifespan, 3-4x the cost.

This article gives a good overview of what to expect and how to look after your new LiFePO4 battery. I will know in another 7 years if this was a good purchase. So far, so good

RCF

Life of the Party
I have a 36lb, 100ah dakota LiFePO4 with a dedicated 10A charger that came with the battery. 1/2 the weight, twice the useable amp hours, 3 times the lifespan, 3-4x the cost.

This article gives a good overview of what to expect and how to look after your new LiFePO4 battery. I will know in another 7 years if this was a good purchase. So far, so good

Thank you for the link. I learn more and more all the time.

PNWFF continues to provide from a diverse group of members so much info.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
never let AGM deep cycle batteries drop below 50% charge or it seriously reduces their functional life.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
wait??? you can have just one trolling motor battery???

Triggw

Steelhead
Another consideration is do you use the battery for only a single day, then take it home and recharge. Or do you need to run the battery for multiple days. I'm often out for four days with no recharge ability. I carry two 100 ah lead-acid batteries. Each will do 2+ days of running several miles (no trolling). Yes, they're obnoxiously heavy, but I can back the truck right up to the water to launch my pontoon boat, so I don't have to carry them far. They're also cheap, so I haven't drunk the lithium ion Coolaid.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Solar panels baby!
On multiday trips I always have solar and a generator options for my trip.

Triggw

Steelhead
Solar panels baby!
On multiday trips I always have solar and a generator options for my trip.
I have a 200-watt solar "suitcase" I use when in the big camper. But I go fishing in a little slide-in and tow the boat on a flat trailer, so no room. You would still need two batteries, so you could be charging one while using the other. Sometimes my buddy runs his generator, though, and I can plug the charger in there, so I'm good for five days or so.

Mike Ediger

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have always used one of the 40-50lb deep cycle marine and rv batteries for my trolling motor, but this thread got me thinking. So I went in to my local battery store that has always been helpful, and where I have purchased most of my batteries. They had a 100Ah lithium battery but the cheapest one was over $1000 after tax! This LiFePO is a steal compared to the one in the shop. Exact same warranty, same Ah, not sure about size as I was only going off the picture for the LiFePO, but what a price difference. I try to buy local when I can, but not for 3x the price.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have always used one of the 40-50lb deep cycle marine and rv batteries for my trolling motor, but this thread got me thinking. So I went in to my local battery store that has always been helpful, and where I have purchased most of my batteries. They had a 100Ah lithium battery but the cheapest one was over $1000 after tax! This LiFePO is a steal compared to the one in the shop. Exact same warranty, same Ah, not sure about size as I was only going off the picture for the LiFePO, but what a price difference. I try to buy local when I can, but not for 3x the price.
Mike, your experience dovetails with my decades of buying things for my various interest. Almost without exception the highest price to be paid was by the local guy who seemed to assume that his business had a near exclusive on the product I wanted. The attitude was somehow that: I've started this business, now help me support it. No, if you can't survive without gouging people don't expect any sympathy from me. If I buy something for XXX dollars that I can get somewhere else for XX dollars I have made a poor decision.