Batson Rainshadow Rod Blanks

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Seeking opinions on Rainshadow graphite rod blanks. I've not been around any but I've heard they are a quality rod. These are from Batson Industry's s out of Washington State. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I have a custom 690 that was built on an rx8+ 15 or so years ago and it’s a great rod. For many years it was my only 6wt and has seen a shit ton of use, more than any one fly rod I own. It is seemingly indestructible. One summer in alaska I broke the other two rods I brought with me and I ended up fishing it daily for 3 months for all 5 species of salmon and it never skipped a beat. It’s a fast taper with enough touch to fish a dry fly or toss a shooting head and a streamer. Man if that rod could talk! I’ve even caught lings with it.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I’m not super familiar with their current line up, but about 15 years ago I built two (6 and 7 weight) switch rods and they are awesome. I think those blanks use a blend of their Rx7 and Rx8 fibers.

I also built an 8 weight single hander (9’) for Kodiak AK silvers using one of their Rx8 blanks. It’s very fast similar to the old Loomis IMX rods.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think I've built up 3. First was an 8 1/2' 5 wt 2-piece blank over 20 years ago. Gave that to my SIL, and he still uses it many years later. Then I built the 11 1/2' 6/7 wt mini-spey or switch rod. Liked it so well that I bought and built a second as back up. Still using it 15 years later. Then I built up an 8 1/2' 4-piece 5 wt for my wife 6 or so years ago. Really nice rods.

EB590

Steelhead
The old Rx7s or rx7+ probably 20 or more years ago were made in usa and very nice. Today, their lower end blanks are Chinese, higher end are Korean. They are still highly regarded.

I think the founder used to work at lamiglas prior to starting batson.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Love their blanks, love their components as well. I built a couple on their old Forecast rx6 blanks, a 7’6” 4 wt 5 piece that is fun. Also built my first spey on a Forecast blank. More recently have built a 9’ 5wt Eternity Rx9, the blue blank that I use a lot for lake fishing. Handles floating and sinking lines well.

Jim Allen

Steelhead
When I was building fly rods I would guess I built around 80 to 100 rods using multiple Batson Rainshadow blanks. Bill Batson is a great guy is a great guy and his family stands behind their products. Vision issues and Parkinson disease forced me to give up rod building. Great product and quality blanks and building supplies.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Quality rods and components as well as local to the state. Of the stuff I've gotten to handle I would say they are more moderate in action for the fly rod fare compared to the modern trend of ultra fast which is welcome for my tastes. I do not own any but would not hesitate to do so should a hole in my quiver appear.