Basic Survival Skills for a Flyfisherman Just Learning to Swim

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'm not wearing one wading in the river.
OMJ quoting his own post. I'll add, if I was fishing different/bigger rivers, or where I though a rather quick self-extraction wouldn't be possible, I might just have the PDF on. Passed on several spots yesterday, didn't seem to affect my fish count.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
The thing that scares me most is falling and hitting my head on a rock. I will wet wade very deep but am much more cautious when wearing waders and I always use a staff. I've thought about getting a Mustang inflatable pfd.
Since I usually use a backpack or sling pack when wading, I don't think an inflatable PFD would do much good. So I use wading boots with aluminum bars or studs, a wading staff (a stout Riverstick or *hiking pole), a cinched wading belt, loosening pack shoulder straps and unbuckling waist belts for crossings, and abundant caution that includes watching CFS levels and *knowing my limits.
(*good collapsible hiking poles with locking light gauge aluminum sections that don't bend or break have a harmonic vibration in fast water that quickly increases my caution and inclination to bailout)
I also might try using the Chinook type III for drive-to spots where I don't need to carry water and food.
I have and will always use a type 3 vest for floating Class I & II rivers.
I have used an inflatable PFD for floating drive-to lakes but now always use a type III.
I still use an inflatable for lakes with a long hike-in.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Got wet yesterday. Lost 2 in two casts (end of day and I was tired and forcing them in quicker than I should have). Hooked up on the next cast and waded deeper to eventually net it. Caught my heel backing out and sat down backwards neck deep, with fish and rod. Not scarry, I was in a safe spot. No swimming. BUT, be sure you got a bag with a towel and dry clothes. After a 25 min. walk out I was shivering pretty good.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Got wet yesterday. Lost 2 in two casts (end of day and I was tired and forcing them in quicker than I should have). Hooked up on the next cast and waded deeper to eventually net it. Caught my heel backing out and sat down backwards neck deep, with fish and rod. Not scarry, I was in a safe spot. No swimming. BUT, be sure you got a bag with a towel and dry clothes. After a 25 min. walk out I was shivering pretty good.

Good advice.

I was fishing for SRC in the sound on a rather cold day. Got my boot stuck in the mud. When I went to take a step, I toppled over. I caught myself with my left arm as I went down, but soaked my arm and shoulder and got enough water down my waders to make the mile hike out more fun.

I was thankful to have dry clothes at the truck.

I suck at wading anything, but was more annoyed at having to cut the trip short.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For the OP: Bear in mind that on the west side of the Cascades 8 months of the year you have about 5 minutes before your muscles start to fail due to the frigid water temperature.

Otter

Steelhead
Right. I was thinking more about things like maybe getting rain down your butt while wearing short wading jackets. Does that happen? I've never even seen waist waders.

BigSky_ 2

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Waist waders sound good. Are there any disadvantages?
IMO none. For me no butt leaks when wearing wading jackets. More comfort and cooler in summer. Easier to get down to basics when nature calls. Less likely to get in trouble wading. Been using Simms pant waders for several yrs,

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Yes; you cannot wade as deep without getting wet as you can with chest waders.
I might argue with you on this as I don't wade very deep anymore, but. Yes, But. On the last day of my Alaska trip, we (guided group) forded a creek at its mouth, the tide was out. By the time we got back to this creek, the tide was coming in (very quickly). I was glad I had my chest waders on. My friend Keith was a few minutes behind me, he was wearing Patagonia waist highs. I hollered at him to pull his waist highs up as far as he could. He's 6'4 with long legs and made it across without overtopping but man, he was dancin' on his toes the last few feet.

The last guy to cross was nicknamed Napoleon. The two guides literally carried him across despite Mr. Boneparte wearing chest waders. All things are relative, right?

I wear my waist highs in my float tube, in my pram and on those occasions when I'm wading cricks and the shoreline of local lakes. I love 'em.

BigSky_ 2

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I might argue with you on this as I don't wade very deep anymore, but. Yes, But. On the last day of my Alaska trip, we (guided group) forded a creek at its mouth, the tide was out. By the time we got back to this creek, the tide was coming in (very quickly). I was glad I had my chest waders on. My friend Keith was a few minutes behind me, he was wearing Patagonia waist highs. I hollered at him to pull his waist highs up as far as he could. He's 6'4 with long legs and made it across without overtopping but man, he was dancin' on his toes the last few feet.

The last guy to cross was nicknamed Napoleon. The two guides literally carried him across despite Mr. Boneparte wearing chest waders. All things are relative, right?
Best to pay attention to tide tables :) I learned the wet way on a rock outcropping on POW island.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Best to pay attention to tide tables :) I learned the wet way on a rock outcropping on POW island.
I used to be very overconfident wading Puget Sound until I suddenly realized I was standing in a rip tide on a Whidbey Island beach. I am a lot more confident than in rivers but I am more aware of the water I step into in the salt nowadays